Prisma Access by Palo Alto Networks Review

Stable with good posture checking and relatively easy to set up

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for mobile users and mainly mobile laptops. In some cases, we use the solution for cloud tenant portals in Azure. We use it to connect those back into the network.

What is most valuable?

Overall, it's a great solution that works quite well.

The solution's most valuable feature is the posture checking.

It's great that we can make sure a machine meets the minimum requirements before users are allowed to log in.

What needs improvement?

The solution needs to be more compatible with other solutions. This is specifically a problem for us when it comes to healthcare applications. They have proprietary connection types and things of that nature that make compatibility a challenge sometimes.

The scaling can be a bit tricky, depending on the setup.

I've probably been using the solution for four years at this point.

The stability is quite good. We haven't had any issues in that sense. It's reliable. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't fail.

The solution is scalable. However, it's more of kind-of piecemeal scalability. I didn't actually deploy it. I just know a lot about it. It depends on how your network is set up. If you have a single egress, it's easy. If you have 70 egresses, it can be very, very difficult.

You may have those many email egresses because you're geologically spread out and you need people to connect with certain portals based on where they are. Of course, we want users to connect to their closest portal. There's complexity there and the cloud doesn't really solve it because the cloud still has to do load balancing and hand it off to the concentrator.

On average, we have about 8,000 users between IT, finance, HR, and, of course, house and home users.

I can't speak to the acceptability of technical support. I've never had to contact them.

We were using AnyConnect. It was limited in terms of egresses, so we decided to switch.

For us, the initial setup was not straightforward. It was very complex due to the fact that we're a very large company. That said, I don't mind the complexity.

The deployment was easy. It was just a matter of handling the configuration for different regions and hospitals. We had to figure out what egress they come in on or what device they come in on and things like that and that decide upon what's the most efficient means for them to connect back into the network.

I don't deal with licensing in the company. I'm not sure what the pricing is.

My understanding is that it's a bit more expensive only because it's part of the framework of the Palo Alto solution. It's more sensitive than if we just went and got some free VPN or some ad hoc solution, and so it's a bit more costly.

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'd advise others that the solution is largely based on the complexity of your environment. It's not that deployment's difficult. It's just that you want to put it where it's most efficient. You've got to take the time to figure out where your users are and how they connect and where they're connecting from.

Overall, I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.

Hybrid Cloud

5.0.9
More Prisma Access by Palo Alto Networks reviews from users
...who compared it with Fortinet FortiClient
Learn what your peers think about Prisma Access by Palo Alto Networks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.