Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks Review

Provides cross-cloud security but it isn't so user-friendly

What is our primary use case?

We use cloud solutions generally for client demos of products.

How has it helped my organization?

It has not been implemented, but Prisma or Dome9 will provide us with better cloud security and less administration time for our cloud instances.

What is most valuable?

RedLock is quite good for providing multi-clouds or cross-cloud security.

What needs improvement?

In our testing, we have found the Check Point product CloudGuard Dome9 to be more user-friendly at this point. Palo Alto Prisma's interface was not as user-friendly. Palo Alto should work on this part of its solution to be more competitive with ease-of-use. I do not feel Palo Alto is short of any features, but if we compare the two side-by-side, I think the user interface for Palo Alto needs to be improved to make it at least as good as Dome9.

We just started evaluating it, so we have just been using it for a little more than a month doing some evaluations and proof of concept.

The product is stable.

We have not tested scalability extensively to this point because our cloud accounts are not being used so much that it warrants scaling it up. We only dedicated a small amount of resources for the product at this point while exploring it.

There are up to 10 users on RedLock in our company and there are never more than 10 at this point.

We worked with both the Palo Alto and Check Point technical support teams during our evaluations. So we were connected to the technical team at Palo Alto. Their technical support was excellent. The presales team was very proactive and helped us in every aspect we needed to resolve our queries during implementation and they provided knowledge to our team internally. The technical support from both vendors was very good. This was not a problem.

We have been using the native security solutions from each of the clouds or cloud service partners we deal with, but they have limited functionality. That is why we began to look into other options.

The initial setup was not too easy and yet not too complex. It was pretty good. The deployment took a couple of days. For deployment, it required only one person. For maintenance, it requires a team of engineers. We have a team with different roles and responsibilities. We have someone from the network team, we have someone from the infosec [information security] team, we have someone from the cloud team, and we have someone from our Unix team. So there is one person from each team who has been assigned roles and responsibilities with explorations of Prisma. The team monitors the system on a day-to-day basis and checks for threats and then, according to what they find, then they decide on any necessary course of action.

Our company did the deployment ourselves with an internal team. We did not use an integrator or consultant.

We did not use any specific or dedicated cloud security product before evaluating the options we chose to review. Currently, we do not have any specific product that we purchased specifically for cloud security. Recently we came across Palo Alto Prisma Cloud Security and Check Point Cloud Guard Dome9 products and we chose to evaluate both and engage in POCs.

We wanted to find some solution where we could see all our cloud accounts and manage them in one single pane of glass. When we used the native solutions that were in place through our cloud providers, we had to manage several different clouds by going to each individually. These dedicated products have everything for cloud security management in one place and we can monitor all our cloud activity from there. There is also the benefit that the functionality of dedicated products is more robust.

Currently, we have stopped using RedLock. We are focusing on exploring Dome9 by Check Point. We have found it very easy to use and the interface is quite user-friendly.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I would give to someone seriously considering these cloud solution products is to be careful with procedures you use while testing them. During the setup phase, there were not many challenges. But while integrating the cloud accounts, I would recommend the users initially provide only read-only access not read-write access, just as a precaution. The users should also be cautious not to expose cloud data to vendors like Dome9 or Palo Alto or whomever the vendor will be.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate the Palo Alto product overall as a seven-out-of-ten. Dome9 I would currently rate eight-out-of-ten. Palo Alto's rating could improve with enhancements to ease-of-use.

Hybrid Cloud

Cloud-based
More Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Prisma Cloud by Palo Alto Networks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.