Progress OpenEdge RDBMS Review

An excellent and extremely reliable database management system

What is our primary use case?

I'm a project manager and we are distributors of the product. Our primary use case of the solution is for the purpose of storing data. The product is a standard relational database.

What is most valuable?

Current key valuable features would be the SSJ (Server Side Join), and logical partitioning.

What needs improvement?

Achieving 99,999% of High Availability within 2020.

I've been using this product for 20+ years.

As mentioned before: Very stabler, it runs and runs.

The product can be scaled in any direction, physically or logically.

Progress offer standard technical support, and they are very responsive if you need it. So they provide 24x7 support and usually the response time is online and within minutes, so we are very happy with it.

I've used many other DBs including Oracle, DB2, Informix, Ingres, Sybase, Postgress, MS SQL. The Progress OpenEdge is simple to administrate (do not need an FTE), and very stable. Once you switch it on, it simply runs and runs.

Initial setup is very straightforward, it would take anyone just a few minutes - it's not rocket science.

If you compare it to Oracle, for example, this database doesn't require an FTE for administration.

Did not calculate it.

One of the unbeatable options which Progress offers to its ISVs is licensing based on PoA (Percentage of Application). This allows to partners to focus on their business despite the fact if the DB is running on premise or cloud.

At the time we did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

Advice? Do not be afraid to use a product even from the not-so-known vendor like Progress Software. Except for the RDBMS they have other excellent products, but people do not know them.

Private Cloud