Prolexic Review

Eliminated DDOS attacks, provides excellent mitigation service

What is our primary use case?

Always-on DDOS protection/mitigation.

We suffered from DDOS attacks and needed a fast mitigation solution. We selected Prolexic routed through GRE tunnels to two different scrubbing centers. This was possible since we own our IPv4 blocks and have our own AS number from RIPE.

How has it helped my organization?

We have suffered from DDOS attacks but that has stopped since we implemented this solution. The only downtime we have now is from our own applications/releases.

What is most valuable?

The support from Akamai is great, and they provide excellent information and mitigation services. The service is very expensive but you get what you pay for. We have not had any issues since we implemented this. They call and say, "You are under attack," and we do not notice.

What needs improvement?

The web portal for checking status and traffic needs improvements. For example, it's not possible to change the time zone, so all graphs display the wrong time.

Three to five years.

There are maintenance on scrubbing centers now and then, but we have never had any traffic outage. E-mail alerts always come in advance and so far no issues.

This was our first provider. We did not have time to to evaluate competitors since we was under attack.

After the 3 year period, we canceled the expensive contract with Akamai and tested F5 Silverline. Since we use F5 Load Balancers and ASM we thought it would be a good idea to utilize the communication between our in-house ASM and Silverline cloud. However, we could not get a clear picture for the pricing and what services we could get. We had to go through re-sellers in 2 extra layers. We got tired about getting different prices about unclear services and offers so we went back to Akamai. We managed to get the pricing down by almost 50%. We could deal directly with Akamai and no confused re-sellers was involved.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it eight out of 10. It would get a nine if the web portal was better and 10 if the price was lower. We have been using it for three years. We canceled the contract recently and are looking into using another vendor to reduce the price by two-thirds.