Proofpoint Email Protection Review

A stable and capable anti-phishing, anti-malware, and threat protection solution

What is our primary use case?

We use it in front of Office 365 for anti-phishing, anti-malware, and threat protection.

How has it helped my organization?

Proofpoint Email Protection has reduced the analyst overhead in responding to phishing incidents by several orders of magnitude. We did not have the resources to respond directly to all Phishing Reports under the old system  With automated responses, we are able to address all Phishing Reports automatically.

What is most valuable?

Its anti-phishing functionality is very valuable to the organization.  As outlined above, we are able to automatically respond to Phishing Reports as well as stop as much as 80% of most Phishing Attacks at the front end leaving only a small percentage to be handled after the fact.

What needs improvement?

It has too many screens. It is kind of a conglomeration of products. In other words, they built product A, product B, and product C, and they are yet to integrate them into a single administrative console. I would certainly like to see a more seamless administrative interface.

I would also like to see them include more bang for the buck, by including features like email fraud protection, rather than making their product so piecemeal, where you are buying little pieces. I agree with the idea of having multiple tiers or layers, but maybe as small, medium, and large, as opposed to an a la carte menu.

I have been using this solution for one year.

It is very stable.

It is fairly scalable. When we had a problem with capacity on one of the clusters, we simply added more members. We have probably 32,000 to 34,000 users in a given period.

Their technical support is mediocre. It could be better. They're a little slow to respond at times, and depending on the product, they're not always very knowledgeable. In one case, I had to fix it myself and show their tech how to fix it.

I found it to be fairly straightforward. It had medium complexity. The deployment was very fairly fast. I did it in about three to four hours.

Annually, it costs us about $92,000. This is pretty much what it costs us. There is no additional cost.

I evaluated Microsoft ATP or Microsoft Advanced Threat Protection. I also evaluated Mimecast at least at face value. I also looked at GreatHorn technologies.

What other advice do I have?

They're the best in the breed. I would rate Proofpoint Email Protection a ten out of ten for the capability of doing its job. I am happy with this solution.

More Proofpoint Email Protection reviews from users
...who work at a Consumer Goods Company
...who compared it with Forcepoint Email Security
Learn what your peers think about Proofpoint Email Protection. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: May 2021.
509,414 professionals have used our research since 2012.