Proxmox VE Review

Open source, easy to install, and works well with Linux

What is our primary use case?

I primarily use Proxmox for training in university. I use its virtual environment.

What is most valuable?

The availability of the platform is okay.

If we compare Proxmox with VMware, VMware provides an environment with a client. And Proxmox provides us an environment with a web client. Most important things for me. And Proxmox uses a middle person with an improviser.

Some items that we use within this solution are not available in other virtual environments.

The solution works well with Linux based systems.

There's a SPICE protocol that's very useful in managing aspects of Proxmox.

The product is pretty easy to install.

The solution is open source and free to use.

What needs improvement?

The availability of the solution could be a bit better.

I've used the solution for about three years or so.

Sometimes I see the stability can cause little problems. I've noticed that, when I use, I merge two, three, or four virtual machines, and when I merge all of these machines at the same time, we have some running slowly. Even if I use the virtual environment I see things running slowly sometimes.

The scalability is okay. If a company wants to scale it, they can.

I've rarely contacted technical support. I have a pretty good competence with Proxmox at this point in time.

We also use VMware or sometimes Citrix as well. We use a variety of virtual environments and compare them. I use them as learning devices for my students.

If you look at the overall market, VMware is the best in terms of offering and popularity, however, I personally prefer Proxmox and will continue to use it and advocate for it.

The installation is very easy. It's straightforward. It's not complex. This is due to the fact that it's an environment that depends on Linux with the version of the kernel in Linux.

When we install it the environment is so easy, we just have to put the image of the system and we choose the mode of installation. It's quite simple.

When we are in the environment, we just need to create an instance of a VM.

I use the open-source version of the solution. We build on a general public license. We don't pay for using the service. For us, as an open-source version, it's free. I'm not sure if there are other versions that cost more and what the pricing is. I've never looked into it.

What other advice do I have?

I'm just an end-user of the solution. I don't have a business relationship with Proxmox. I use the product in my classroom as a learning aid.

I'd recommend the solution. It's been an invaluable learning resource for myself and my students. It works well and shows off the potential of virtual environments. I use it often for my classes and with my students as a teaching device.

On a scale from one to ten, I would rate this product at an eight. I would only give VMware a higher rating. It's definitely at the top of my list in terms of technology in this area.

More Proxmox VE reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware vSphere
Learn what your peers think about Proxmox VE. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
465,891 professionals have used our research since 2012.