Proxmox VE Review

We have developed a tried and tested method to set up servers and it works well once you know how you want your servers to work.​

Valuable Features

It's a solid, stable and powerful open source virtualisation product that has allowed us to bring virtualisation to smaller SMBs at an affordable price.

Improvements to My Organization

All our client servers are now virtualised, which has reduced the risk of downtime due to a server failure that used to happen with non-virtualised servers. Servers can be backed up using snapshots etc.

Room for Improvement

Storage IO management seems the weakest link although this could be hardware related. On decent servers this is not an issue but on smaller custom built servers we have occasionally had issues with IO speed. It is a well thought out product and the newer versions just seem to get better n better.

Use of Solution

We've been using it for seven years.

There have been no issues deploying it.

There have been no issues with its stability.

We haven't had any issues scaling it for our needs.

I've never really needed it as I've been able to work out most things intuitively.

We also looked at VMware. Our perception is that this is a superior product but that is subjective as it is not mainstream.

It's straightforward. We have developed a tried and tested method to set up servers and it works well once you know how you want your servers to work.

ROI

It's hard to quantity but using Proxmox has significantly boosted our server capabilities and service offering increasing our revenue.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

It's open source and provided one has enough experience with Linux and servers it doesn’t cost much other than time to become an expert in the product.

Other Solutions Considered

We also looked at VMware.

Other Advice

It's well worth using. It's highly recommended and we have had no issues.

1 Comment
Fábio RabeloReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

I can endorse everything in this review .
I am an user of Proxmox for about the same time, since the 1.6 version .
It is been improving in every new version to become a real contender in virtualization market .
Rock solid stability, flexible and feature rich .

22 March 16