Proxmox VE Review

We have developed a tried and tested method to set up servers and it works well once you know how you want your servers to work.​

What is most valuable?

It's a solid, stable and powerful open source virtualisation product that has allowed us to bring virtualisation to smaller SMBs at an affordable price.

How has it helped my organization?

All our client servers are now virtualised, which has reduced the risk of downtime due to a server failure that used to happen with non-virtualised servers. Servers can be backed up using snapshots etc.

What needs improvement?

Storage IO management seems the weakest link although this could be hardware related. On decent servers this is not an issue but on smaller custom built servers we have occasionally had issues with IO speed. It is a well thought out product and the newer versions just seem to get better n better.

We've been using it for seven years.

There have been no issues deploying it.

There have been no issues with its stability.

We haven't had any issues scaling it for our needs.

I've never really needed it as I've been able to work out most things intuitively.

We also looked at VMware. Our perception is that this is a superior product but that is subjective as it is not mainstream.

It's straightforward. We have developed a tried and tested method to set up servers and it works well once you know how you want your servers to work.

It's hard to quantity but using Proxmox has significantly boosted our server capabilities and service offering increasing our revenue.

It's open source and provided one has enough experience with Linux and servers it doesn’t cost much other than time to become an expert in the product.

We also looked at VMware.

What other advice do I have?

It's well worth using. It's highly recommended and we have had no issues.

More Proxmox VE reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware vSphere