Proxmox VE Review

Saves a lot of time compared to imaging physical desktops

What is our primary use case?

I needed a free virtualization solution for training, development work, and application testing with the ability to quickly deploy VMs based on a single VM template and snapshots.

How has it helped my organization?

By implementing Proxmox, we now have the ability to quickly build and deploy VM desktops for application testing with the snapshot ability to rollback, as required. Saves a lot of time compared to imaging physical desktops. The web interface is quick to learn for techs to deploy VMs based on templates, as required.

What is most valuable?

The template option allows us to build a desktop in a VM, then quickly deploy as a linked clone. The hard drive file on the template is used (read-only), then all changes are saved in a separate hard drive file. It is like deploying a new VM based on snapshots.

What needs improvement?

Some of the more advanced features and options required for setup still need to use the console and hand edit config files.

Less than one year.

No issues.

No issues.

initial setup was a bit of a learning curve, as with any new product. Some of the configuration required uses the console and options were not available in web interface (like setting MTU on NICs).

2 visitors found this review helpful