Proxmox VE Review

A flexible and affordable approach, especially for on-site deployment

What is our primary use case?

I use this solution as a virtualization and Linux container platform for a small-medium Enterprise. It's highly stable, flexible, expansible, and compatible. The characteristics of the software combined with the hardware performance allow for the deployment of services in many different and variable scenarios, especially on-site for companies that need this kind of deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

Proxmox allows us to achieve affordable performance while keeping high levels of data protection and flexibility. It also enables the deployment of services for small enterprises that need on-site deployment, and at the same time, it helps keep the budget under control. It maintains very low energy, noise, and steric footprint for the office environment.

What is most valuable?

For me, there are several features that I find valuable, including:

• Use of open-source software.
  • Compatibility with simple Linux container solutions on the same hosts.
  • The integration of a simple and flexible backup solution.
  • The dashboard/control panel.

Worthy of special mention is the community, which is excellent at solving or explaining difficulties for the users of the solution.

What needs improvement?

This solution needs a more flexible and efficient backup solution in the dashboard.

The capacity for integrating deployment through WAN is needed. Something like a Federation tool for Central monitoring and management.

UPS supervision integration would be a nice feature because right now this has been integrated by ourselves using another tool that is not on the platform.

Eight years.

Besides using the free unlicensed version, the updates are very stable. I have only had one reported incident in eight years. Systems are deployed in office scenarios.

This solution scales relatively easily.

I have never used the technical support. Instead, I have relied on the community.

Prior to this solution, I used VMware VSphere 5 and 6, but it requires mostly professional (certified) IT equipment. The performance impact of the hypervisor and control panel is very heavy and it requires an independent backup solution. It also does not support Linux containers.

The initial setup was relatively simple. We had a couple of servers and an iSCSI SAN, VLAN, and LACP Bonding with no HA.

We performed the implementation in-house.

The time it took for us to see the ROI was very short.

Proxmox is free software, but if you prefer the support and a more rested repository then you can pay for it.

I evaluated several products including Docker, HyperV, VirtualBox, and KVM.