PRTG Network Monitor Review

Intuitive and Compact Monitoring Solution

Valuable Features:

Bandwidth graph and Layouts

Room for Improvement:

Map designer could be improved by adding more flexibility to the links instead of the straight line.

Deployment Issues:

Stability Issues:

Scalability Issues:

Previous Solutions:

Previous solutions had to many dependencies and were unstable for the most part. Overhead and additional cost of critical features were costly.

Initial Setup:

Initial setup is as easy as it will get for a software of this type. The entire application core and probe literally install and run in less than 5 minutes. I am used to having dependencies and multiple modules taking over an hour to fully install for similar product.

Other Solutions Considered:

SolarWinds, WhatsUp, OpenNMS, Nagios, Netcool, OPManager, Splunk

Other Advice:

This is a review of PRTG version 14. As far as network monitoring and analysis, I cannot think of a more intuitive and flexible product on the market today. Where PRTG shines is in its speed and compact design. The latest interface is ideal for complex networks and as useful for simple networks. Initially, I had a negative reaction to the idea of the sensor based license approach. Once I deployed PRTG on the network, the sensor model makes perfect sense. For the amount of sensors that I used and the included features, the cost of PRTG is over 80% lower than other software suites that claim to have similar features. I am not an employee of PRTG, I am just a very satisfied user. If you are a sysadmin or netadmin and have been struggling to find the ideal monitoring tool, I urge you to give PRTG a try. The trial is free. You will not regret it. I just wish someone had told me about this application a few years ago.

4 visitors found this review helpful