PRTG Network Monitor Review

Monitors a wide range of aspects of our equipment and has a lot of alerting options

What is our primary use case?

We use it to monitor our servers. We try to monitor all of the functions the servers as closely as possible.

How has it helped my organization?

The historical data provided by the solution allows us to look back in time and look at the baseline performance of the sensors. We can compare them over time to see if anything has gotten worse or improved. The data helps us optimize network performance.

It allows us to be more proactive when monitoring our infrastructure. With PRTG, we normally know of issues with our servers before anybody reports them. We used to be very reactive, but now we are alerted instantly. We've got hundreds of servers, so it's impossible to monitor them manually.

It definitely enables our IT department to be more cost-effective because we don't waste time checking things manually, which can be quite time-consuming. It frees us up to concentrate on the issues that we've been alerted to through PRTG.

The solution also provides us with defined measures of performance so we can see whether it has improved or decreased over time. We can then improve our infrastructure. We can measure that using PRTG.

What is most valuable?

Some of the valuable features include the following.

• Ease of use. The authentication links into our standard Active Directory authentication, which is very good.
  • It's got a wide variety of sensors that can be applied to many different aspects of the service to monitor them. There's a very good selection.
  • The remote probes are very useful. They allow us to provide a reference across different areas in the network. In trying to localize issues, that's very useful.
  • It's web-based, which is a big advantage when you can access it from anywhere.
  • It's very reliable.
  • It's independent of other equipment, so it's not going to fail due to anything else failing in the infrastructure.
  • It's got apps as well, so it's accessible, even on your mobile.

It's an excellent product. In terms of the overall feature set, it has a lot of features. It can monitor a wide range of aspects of our equipment and it has a lot of options for alerting.

What needs improvement?

It's very good for monitoring our internal infrastructure, but we're using more cloud services now. It would be useful to be able to get information back from these cloud services in detail, and display any issues within PRTG for the rest of our systems.

It's very stable. It has to be when it's monitoring for failures in other parts of the system. We've had very few issues with stability. It's been very good.

It allows us to easily increase the number of sensors and the scope of what we can monitor. The scalability is very good. It grows with our business. We initially bought a set number of licenses and then upgraded it and bought additional server licenses to monitor other things in the business.

We haven't had to resort to contacting tech support much over the years that we've been using it. When we have, they've always responded quickly and been very good at helping to resolve any issues.

We didn't have a previous solution in place.

It was very easy to set up a trial version of the server and evaluate it for a period to see what we could get out of the product.

The time from setup of the solution until it provided us with feedback on our IT infrastructure was quite quick. Before the trial was over, we already had a lot more information than we had had before. It was worth definitely the cost of licensing it and paying for it.

We did it ourselves. It was so easy.

I'm not involved in the commercial aspect of the solution, but the pricing is very low compared to other solutions.

We evaluated a number of different server monitoring solutions and selected PRTG as the best solution to go forward with. We looked at WhatsUp Gold and Nagios. PRTG was much easier to use, configure, set up, and get running. It provided better information which was very well displayed.

We also had downtime previously. That was definitely why we went ahead with a monitoring solution, so we could be alerted quickly to any issues and resolve them before they affected our service and users.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend trying PRTG and seeing the benefits.

We don't tend to use the Desktop app because the web-based interface is so good. I really don't have a lot of experience with the Desktop app.

I would say the product is a nine out of ten. It's been very successful and done exactly what we wanted it to do.

Get ahead of IT infrastructure issues

With PRTG Network Monitor you can identify and solve potential issues before it affects anyone. Download a free 30-day trial today and experience the benefits of 24-hour IT Infrastructure Monitoring.