PTC Integrity Review

Good item management and version control but does not have good performance

What is our primary use case?

I mainly used PTC to make a JIRA-like tool so that people can work with Agile.

I think it has more features as presented by PTC. However, we mainly used this solution for item management, change requests, item tracking, etc. The second thing we used it for was version control.

What needs improvement?

We have been using it because it gives certain abilities in the automotive industry, such as auditing or keeping track of information. It's still being used in many more companies, not just in mine. But I think that we can also replace it with other tools. Its performance is not very good, because many features are not relevant in today's world. I believe it's going to be fading away from use.

To be honest, the third controller system is kind of old. There are lots of transactional changes that have not been implemented in PTC. If you have a larger project, for example, whenever you give bits and need to change 10,000 files you can just commit them. But here the work style is a little more file-based, so you'll have to take care of almost all the files individually. It's not a single commit like you do here, but rather you have to allocate time for each component or file that you want to check-in or commit. That's a very big issue.

It's moderately user-friendly. There are some functions that are missing, for example, copying the path of a file in the versioning system. That one has been implemented by adding a button that we programmed it in our company to do so. That's just an example. There are more features that should have been there for a better user experience. So our hesitation has been at this point in user experience.

It is also very hard to connect this solution with other tools or integrate it with other tools.

I've been studying this product for about a year and half.

Scalability depends a lot on the infrastructure because for-profit companies use it very well and very easily, but sometimes this is on top of good infrastructure. The network is a must whenever you want to use it, because otherwise you will have many problems like we have now. We are in a remote place of the company. We are not in the company's main country. So we're trying to update across our borders. The tool does not work very well with low quality infrastructures.

You will have to invest in the infrastructure and resources on the server-side to make it work.

They don't really have good technical support.

The online community is also somehow missing. Very few people are still using it or posting about it online. If you have an issue that you want to resolve without contacting PTC, you'll have trouble finding people online to watch that can teach you how to use it.

Technical support on their side was a little bit harsh. I was involved directly in discussions with them when talking about Agile and Agile tools. We didn't receive much help from their side on this topic.

If I'm working at a company this is done automatically by deploying an installation tool. When you receive the computer, you get it with PTC installed, so I can't possibly know if it's hard or not.

I don't have access to this information but I heard it is very high.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this as five out of ten. You can use it for things from the previous decade. After 2010, whatever you want to do in terms of programming is very unusable.