PubSub+ Event Broker Review

Makes information flow very seamless; templates and naming conventions make it easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a message bus for our different systems to connect to Solace on a pub/sub basis. We have about 10 systems interfacing with it. It is used for our critical payment systems which are mostly online payment transactions. There are also messages for streaming and data warehouse info.

We are using the Solace PubSub+ 3530 appliance, and the AMI (Amazon Machine Image) version. We have a mixture of an on-premise deployment and a cloud deployment. The cloud part is more the AMI.

How has it helped my organization?

Because we use it as a message broker, it makes information flow very seamless.

When we do the setup we establish the naming conventions. So all we need to do is to tell our stakeholders who are interested in using Solace to follow the naming convention. That way, everybody can implement things according to their own timing and schedule. We decouple implementation from the various systems. We just publish things and whoever is ready to consume does so.

From an application design perspective, it is quite easy for them to interface with it and they don't need a lot of rules. Solace has increased application design productivity. It has reduced dependency. Anybody can work with it based on their own timeline so, to a certain extent, there's no bottleneck when they use it.

We have also seen an increase in productivity when it comes to solution management, by about 30 percent.

It's very easy for architects and developers to extend their design and development investment to new applications using solace because it's quite standardized, as long as they follow the template when they do the design. They just have to publish according to the particular template. There is no need to redesign.

What is most valuable?

• Everything is good in this solution. We only use the PubSub feature. We use a minimum of topics to publish and they are consumed through the Solace message broker.
  • We have a standard template for any new configuration, so it's very easy to manage.
  • The topic hierarchy is pretty flexible. Once you have the subject defined just about anybody who knows Java can come onboard. The APIs are all there.
  • Topic filtering is easy to use and easy to maintain. Sometimes we go into a lot of detail on the content and it can be affected at a higher level. So it's very flexible.

What needs improvement?

The product should allow third-party agents to be installed. Currently, it is quite proprietary. It doesn't allow third-party agents to be installed.

I have been using Solace PubSub+ Event Broker for three years.

The product is pretty stable. Since the time we set it up, there has been no need for us to reboot the appliance. We have had zero downtime.

It's quite easy to scale. We just have to build in another set.

We have plans to extend it into our warehousing systems — those are portals — so that the information can be shared.

They are very knowledgeable and their responses are pretty fast.

We did not have a previous solution. We went with it because we liked the features that Solace provides and, to date, it has delivered.

The free version allows people to do a proof of concept easily. It helps people when they want to see how easy it is to use. The free version helped us to decide to go with the solution.

The initial setup of Solace was straightforward. We just had to buy the product, install it, have a few templates, and that was it. We were already good to go.

Our deployment took about a week or so. After that, we did integration testing. Once that was okay we had to come out with a template for people to follow. The learning curve is quite small.

To administer Solace we only need two people. That's because it has role segregation.

In terms of dollar value we have not seen ROI, but in terms of availability, we have, because the product is very stable.

So far, we are okay with the pricing and the licensing.

We didn't compare Solace with competing solutions.

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product to go with if you are interested in uptime and availability, and ease of implementation.

The biggest lesson I have learned from using Solace is that once you get the design correct, everything flows very seamlessly.

More PubSub+ Event Broker reviews from users