PubSub+ Event Broker Review

Guaranteed Messaging allows for us to transport messages between on-prem and the cloud without any loss of data

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a central message bus to interconnect all our applications as well as for the transportation of market data.

We're using the 3560s for the hardware appliances and version 9.3 for the software.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped a lot in the unified way of how we develop software. Having a common message processing protocol has helped a lot with maintainability and how software has been designed. It also removes the worries that the message bus is not performing well, e.g., the throughput rates are so high that it works very well.

The solution has increased application design productivity.

It is easy for architects and developers to extend their design and development investment to new applications using this solution. That's never been a roadblock.

What is most valuable?

PubSub+ capabilities make it all work.

Guaranteed Messaging allows for us to transport messages between on-prem and the cloud without any loss of data.

The solution’s topic hierarchy is pretty flexible and works well. It does require some engineering thought in the beginning to ensure that the hierarchy works and you don't shoot yourself in the foot. But if that is architected well, it allows for very nice filtering and subscription based on what you are interested in.

The topic hierarchy's application design and maintenance works very well.

What needs improvement?

The ease of management could be approved. The GUI is very good, but to configure and manage these devices programmatically in the software version is not easy. For example, if I would like to spin up a new software broker, then I could in theory use the API, but it would require a considerable amount of development effort to do so. There should be a tool, or something that Solace supports, that we could use for this, e.g., a platform like Terraform where we could use infrastructure as code to configure our source appliances.

Monitoring needs improvement. There is no way to get useful systems to test out the machine without having to implement our own monitoring solution.

I would like to see improvement in the message promotion rate for software-based brokers.

More than 15 years.

It is extremely stable. The amount of hardware-based interruptions that we have had from the Solace products are less than 10 in the last seven to eight years. It has extremely high reliability.

Since it is a hardware-based solution, what you buy is what you get. You can then upgrade it, but we have never had a need to upgrade and scale the solution.

It is used for all our applications. The whole company is using it, including traders, developers, and risk.

The technical support is very good. Our questions have always been answered and resolved in a very good way. They seem very knowledgeable about their product and can go into depth about how and why we should implement it in certain ways.

The initial setup was pretty straightforward.

The deployment was part of a larger rollout. For just the physical deployment, it took a day per site.

We had good support Solace during the deployment and the architecture phase of designing how we would use the product.

It has provided us with a return on our investment. It has enabled us to do what we do now.

The pricing and licensing were very transparent and well-communicated by our account manager.

There was no free version when we evaluated it.

We compared a few messages bus solutions, like TIBCO. At that point, Solace came out ahead, both in throughput and probably cost.

We haven't really used any competitors. I don't think there are many on the market still. I don't think the solution really compares that well with any of the open source solutions. Maybe the setup ease with MQ is similar to Solace, but then to keep it operational, Solace is much easier. It's a hardware appliance that you can install in a data center, which just keeps working. That is amazing. It is something that software or open source solutions don't offer.

What other advice do I have?

It is a product that is more like a switch or router, where you install it, then it keeps on working. The operational maintenance is extremely low.

Read the documentation. Talk to Solace about any questions that you might have to find out the best implementation for whatever it is you need to solve.

I would rate the product as an eight (out of 10).

Hybrid Cloud