Pulse Connect Secure Review

The flexibility enables us to design solutions well, save effort and cost, and better support customers

What is our primary use case?

We use Pulse Connect Secure as a secure VPN device connection solution.

How has it helped my organization?

It has allowed us to be flexible with our changing requirements. Our social environment supplies each customer with a different solution, so it could become tedious without a multi-themed solution. That would cost our organization money. At the same time, it will cost in quality of service to the customer. Because of the flexibility we can design solutions well, save effort and cost, and support customers better.

What is most valuable?

The most important feature is flexibility. All the features have served their purpose for us because it is so flexible. It can achieve every solution that you expect it to or can be integrated with other solutions.

What needs improvement?

Features that we would like to see in future releases include:

• Zero test FDP (Fraud Protection and Prevention).
  • Improving customization like make an IVS for servicing multiple transactions from one customer. It is possible now but could be simplified.
  • Bandwidth monitoring. It is functional but can be better with graphs, like exactly bandwidth is used per user.
  • Telemetry or IPFIX support could also be useful for reporting. We can do that ourselves but it would be a good addition to the package.
  • An STP solution, which is relatively new to the market.

The organization has been using this solution for about 10 years.

The version we are currently using is very stable. The previous version had many problems but they have been resolved.

For scalability, I would give it a 10 out of10. The solution is not just scalable, it's available, too. You can actually put two devices in a cluster so if one machine goes down service is not interrupted. You can add other configurations as well.

The customer support is awesome. If you give them the problem they'll give you the solution immediately. If not, they'll go find out what the problem is. They also can route a future request through sales and get it taken care of as a hotfix.

The level of support justifies the price.

Personally, I have used Cisco ASI and F5 devices. Pulse Connect Secure was already in place at this company when I arrived, so for this company there was no reason to test or use another solution.

It was not very difficult to deploy and can be done in minutes. They have very good documentation so you can always rely on it for answers. However, the time for deployment will differ depending on the skill and experience of the user who is deploying it. The deployment is pretty fast if you're just doing the regular SSL VPN proxy connection. If you're doing something more complex, it will take around two days. If you're doing an automation configuration for the first time and have never done it before, it is difficult because you have to read the documentation and train. At maximum that would take a week. Once you are used to the UI, it will be a matter of minutes.

The return on investment is utility. It services all our needs so we can better service our customers.

The cost of the product is high, but worth it because of the utility and great product support.

What other advice do I have?

I can safely say this is one of the best solutions I have seen for VPN access. It can achieve what other vendors may not be able to. This product will train you about exactly what an SSL should be. You can leverage it to do whatever you wish, the way you wish to do it. This is the solution if you want a perfectly scalable product for your enterprise that can help your mobile users and integrate with the latest technologies.

I would rate it a ten out of ten.