Pure Storage FlashArray Review

It currently doesn't support NAS storage (CIFS and NFS), but the dashboard provides everything needed in a single view.

What is most valuable?

The dashboard of the product provides a lot of value to the administrator. It provides everything needed in a single view.

How has it helped my organization?

The product improved the organization functions by increasing system response time and productivity. Before the product was installed, applications ran poorly, and slow, which affected the productivity of the workforce. Once the product was in use, the applications ran quickly, and the workforce did not encounter any bottlenecks and became more productive.

What needs improvement?

The product could improve by providing the capability to support NAS storage – CIFS and NFS. Currently, the product only supports block storage (SAN).

The solution has been in place for three years.

There weren’t any issues encountered other than firmware upgrades that needed to take place.

The capacity we needed did not cause any issues with scalability. However, fairly large companies may have issues expanding. The controllers are limited to a certain amount of storage. When that capacity limit is reached on what the controllers can handle, another set of controllers will be needed to compensate for the additional storage.

Their support and customer service is excellent. They monitored our storage arrays and knew about issues we had when they were reported. They assisted and made themselves available for some work where help was needed.

I would rate their level of support an 8/10. Only because issues require escalation during off hours, but they do respond when issues are escalated.

The technology the company had were from two competing vendors, but none had flash storage. This was the first time the company ever used flash storage.

The deployment was very quick. It is one of the easiest storage equipment to implement.

The initial setup was very simple. The storage array comes very compact with minimum amount of hardware so it’s not bulky equipment which gets delivered in pallets. The setup instructions are extremely easy.

The product was installed by the vendor’s SE. Their level of expertise was a solid 10/10.

There was a case study on the product. The work performed by four people is now capable of being performed by one person because of the applications running faster.

All the software is included in the hardware at no additional cost , unlike some of the other storage vendors who charge for certain features such as encryption, replication, etc.

We looked at the other offerings from existing vendors but we took advantage of the free POC and also the special introductory rate.

What other advice do I have?

Based on my experience with the product, I would recommend it. I have never experienced an outage with the product or had any support that was below excellent. But there are other products in the market which compete well, however, I do not have any experience with the other products’ pricings and support.