Qlik Sense Review

Enabled us to quickly adapt to the business and department needs during COVID

What is our primary use case?

We are in apparel manufacturing. Individual Qlik Sense Apps were designed for each department: Retail, Warehouse, Sales, Finance, Production, and Operations. We are able to utilize data from our ERP, PLM, and retail applications. We use QlikView as well but Qlik Sense has been leveraged to allow departments to digest the data in a more targeted approach. It has a cleaner look and our users have been pleased with the solution. We added N Printing recently and have the trifecta of the BI solutions from Qlik.

How has it helped my organization?

We adopted the Ikea approach where users defined what they wanted to see and we implemented solutions based on their needs. This allowed the departments to stay engaged with the tool. From our Business Intelligence department experience, we developed best practices and new visualizations to collaborate with the departments. This was rolled out beginning of January 2020. It was a good exercise in flexibility to use Qlik Sense to quickly adapt to the business and department needs during COVID. We are still making improvements every day to the Apps and will shift our focus to training to gain more user adoption.

What is most valuable?

With the changing business landscape, it is nice to access Qlik Sense through an external website. As an organization when we use QlikView Desktop, we need to connect to our internal network. We can access QlikView through the QlikView access point but the website has a little different look and feel than the desktop application. We appreciate that Qlik Sense is browser-based and the user experience is the same whether at home, in the office or on a boat. As long as the user has internet access, performance is the same.

What needs improvement?

Reload failure alerts on the application within the Qlik Management Console without any use of extensions. QlikView is able to handle these alerts directly through the QlikView Management Console. We would appreciate a similar solution that is easy to set up and use. Simple formatting options in the pivot and straight tables such as adjusting line thickness and font selection and size. This can be done with extensions, but without knowledge of JSON and/or HTML these can be difficult to use. We would like to add images using inherent Qlik Sense without the use of extensions.

I have been using Qlik Sense for less than a year.

Overall the stability is good. We have not had many crashes and are able to add memory to solve most performance issues.

It is easy to scale and buy a license, however, the solution is very memory intensive. More users and more data can lead to degraded performance and longer processing times to run reports.

Our interactions have all been through our vendor partner and they reach out on our behalf when needed.

We currently use SSRS and QlikView in addition to Qlik Sense. We like to enhance our offering. SSRS reports can take much longer to develop than Qlik reports.

Since we already had QlikView, the setup was very simple. All additional setups have been intuitive.

We used a combination of both. Our vendor team partners have over 20 years of experience with Qlik and specific to our industry there expertise is unparalleled.

We have not mapped out a true ROI. If we compare what it costs to build out using consultants in SSRS versus internally building in Qlik, saving are in the tens of thousands.

It is a flexible tool and has the ability to scale. Pricing is reasonable. Our setup was very easy as we utilized what was already built-in Qlik View.

We were already using SSRS and Qlik View and have some fairly extensive data models built-in QlikView so we wanted to leverage our existing efforts. We did not evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I am very happy with Qlik and the solutions they offer. Like any system, it is not perfect but it allows for great flexibility and ease of use.

More Qlik Sense reviews from users