Qlik Sense Review

Drag and drop feature, and extension capabilities derived from the Qlik API are key

How has it helped my organization?

As a Qlik consultant, I have been using QlikView to design management dashboards but with Qlik Sense it offers more.

What is most valuable?

This is amazing product takes the super features of QlikView ETL capabilities to a whole new level with its new drag and drop feature, and extension capabilities derived from the robust Qlik API.

What needs improvement?

None at the moment. Qlik Sense for me combines the power of QlikView and the ease of use of Tableau.

No stability issues at the moment.

Just like QlikView, Qlik Sense has developed best practices to hasten and manage BI projects.

The Qlik community is very vibrant and you find or get answers to most issues to get you started.

With Qlik Sense, setup is pretty straightforward. For personal use, the desktop version is absolutely free, and you can share visualizations with others and to a personal cloud space, though limited with storage space.

For a deployment scenario, Qlik Sense is also very easy to use. I can start development from any platform, on-premise or cloud, and continue from            where I left off.

Qlik Sense pricing and licensing is like that of QlikView. It's on the high side for a small company, but it’s competitive among its peers. Use of licenses (referred to as tokens) is a bit confusing. There is a login access pass for infrequent or anonymous access.

As a consultant in the area of business intelligence and data analytics, I have had to personally evaluate Qlik Sense against other self-service BI tools such as Tableau, Power BI, and MicroStrategy.

What other advice do I have?

Invest in memory and RAM for the PC or server you intend to use Qlik Sense on. Ensure you have all the necessary resources and connectors installed for proprietary databases as well, if you are keen on some form of integration to web/projects.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Qlik Partner.