Qlik Sense Review

Intuitive, user-friendly, and good performance, but the administrative tools need to be improved

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for process optimization and getting insight into making better decisions based on data visualization. We have deployed to multiple environments, standard and self-service, among a variety of user groups based on the requirements. This is valid for multiple locations around the world including North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific.

Use cases are valid for most of the company's divisions, though some of them are using it more often. We have both user types, including consumers who don't have as many privileges and power users who can take advantage of most of the features.

How has it helped my organization?

Qlik Sense has provided insight into specific areas that enabled us to shorten the supply cycle, give a better overview of the company's production, increase profitability, and improve the effectiveness of respective vaccines.

Basically, it improved either processes or decisions for effectively promoting, demoting, or changing products. It presents visualizations enabling easier identification of compounds that lead to greater effectiveness of either trial testing, product delivery, or their supply to the various regions around the world.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this solution are:

• It has intuitive and user-friendly navigation, which facilitates users' adoption of the tool.
  • The associative searching and filtering capability is a unique feature among other BI tools, and one does not need to deeply understand the underlying data.
  • The in-memory compression and processing enable quick responses from the server, provided they are properly sized.
  • With Adaptable visualizations (mobile/desktop), there is no need to create multiple versions of the report, one for desktop and one for mobile.
  • The powerful data handling and preparation ability to transform data is very helpful.

What needs improvement?

The areas that we feel Qlik Sense can be improved are:

• The administrator tools such as user sessions, active users, task sessions, and the ability to kill, provide insufficient power over what is happening on the platform.
  • There is an inability to effectively manage (pre)caching (scheduling, assigning for respective user groups, etc), especially without community extensions or your own development. There is simply no way to automate.
  • This solution needs inbuild versioning, backup, dependency analysis, and regression testing.
  • This is an imparity between Windows and Cloud versions with respect to functionality.
  • Shared development would be a helpful inclusion.
  • Core functionality delivered by extensions (Telemetry, CLI) is in need of improvement.

We have been using Qlik Sense for more than three years.

Unless you make users doing development, or exploration of their data in the same environment as is the production, you should be good to go.

Scalability is pretty good, although there are limitations, especially for the Windows version, on the number of machines in one environment.

Unless you pay a premium for Priority support the experience is not great. For some issues, you might wait weeks before a resolution is reached.

Business usually wants to explore new options on how to analyze data. We felt that new tools might offer new capabilities.

Our setup included multiple projects, multiple divisions, multiple environments, cloud setup, security, and load balancing. It was especially extensive.

We used both an in-house team and received assistance from a third-party.

My advice is to always evaluate the respective use cases to determine whether it is the best tool to go with.

Private Cloud