QlikView Review

Real-time Data Collaboration

Yesterday, I had a very nice meeting with the folks at Qlikview (thanks, @DHurd11 & Andy for making the trip). They partnered with a local DC consulting firm by the name of Tandem Conglomerate. I had the pleasure of working with Ben Nah from Tandem Conglomerate last year – and I can vouch that their talent is top-notch. Qlikview is smart to find partners of this caliber – and utilize them to better serve their customers.

As a technologist, I always have my eyes open to exploring new technology. This is always challenging with long term contracts, university politics, and an ever-changing IT landscape. However, for me, vendors have to prove why they should remain at the top. Competition is healthy for everyone as it makes us constantly improve. I should also say that as long as we have a defined data model, the reporting tools that we use on top of that data model are fluid. The point is not to constantly change and rip out what you’ve done just for the sake of redoing it, but it is important to keep an eye on the latest technology, experiment, and find what is best for your organization. This can be done gradually with small pilot projects to prove value. We’re actually in the process of doing one of these pilot projects with Hadoop.

Ok – so you’re probably wondering why I titled this post ‘real-time data collaboration’? During the Qlikview presentation yesterday, I saw something that really resonated with me. And, that was the ability to collaborate, in real-time, on the same Qlikview dashboard.

This capability is a market differentiator for Qlikview. As many of you may have seen from Gartner and in my previous post regarding Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for BI, this is one of the reasons that Qlikview remains ahead of competitors such as Tableau. Other dashboard vendors may provide the ability to ‘share’ with others, or embed the dashboard into a web page or part. Don’t misunderstand. This is NOT the same.

During their product demonstration, Qlikview demonstrated the ability in real-time to share dashboards. This means that you can select the filters/parameters that you would like to analyze, hone in on the particular area of interest, and share it in real-time. The recipient can then see that selection, modify it, and as they modify the shared dashboard, it will update your dashboard. You can modify and send changes back to the recipient as well. VERY COOL! Kudos to Qlikview on this feature.