QlikView Review
When is the best time to implement Business Intelligence?

When is the best time to implement Business Intelligence?

Many of our clients still operate with outdated ERP legacy systems. The common complaint we hear is “I cannot get access to the information that is stored in my ERP system!”

Most commonly, issues are due to the fact that when these systems were built, paper-based reporting was still dominant. That is not the case anymore.

--A New Approach to Reporting--
There are ways to solve data access and reporting issues today without having to go through a costly conversion to a new ERP system.

Today a number of new software products are available that are relatively easy to deploy. These tools can put the power if information in the hands of users.

-- QlikView --
We recently reviewed one such product from QlikView. This Business Intelligence (BI) vendor got its start in Sweden in 1993. Today they have over 27,000 customers worldwide.

Our client still uses a legacy system they implemented 20 years ago and struggles to manage the business with poor information. The information they access often takes hours to assemble.

This BI product easily attaches to the client’s various data sources: the old legacy data files, Excel files, Access files and more. The data files can be linked. The user, through a series of wizards, can easily construct displays of the data.

-- A Cube of Data --
What we saw during the system review was the access of a “cube” of data. The system organizes the cube by dimensions and the user can “slice and dice” the information by the various dimensions: dates ranges, customers, products, territories and more.

In this demonstration we viewed a dashboard that showed tabs across the top:

- This year YTD compared to last year YTD
- KPI’s over time
- P&L
- Cash Flow
- Budgets
- Trends

The user could click to the tab, and then select the dimensions they wanted to look at.

The user can add notes to the dashboard for other users to view. Also, the user can share a view of the dashboard to other members of the team at no addition license cost. This increased insight aids in overall business process improvement.

-- Unlocking Data --
Over the years, our independent ERP consultants have found BI to be an effective route to unlocking information. By getting information into the hands of the users, companies achieve benefits that can then be used to fund the transformation to modern ERP. The BI system you deploy today can ease your transition to modern ERP implementation and is compatible with your data today and your data tomorrow.

1 visitor found this review helpful

1 Comment

it_user1068VendorLEADERBOARD

I cannot seem to find the answer to the title of this post? Am I mistaken?

01 September 13