QlikView Review
What’s So Great About QlikView in the iPad World?

Disclosure: I work for a company that is a partner with QlikView, SAP BusinessObjects and Microsoft.

As a non-Apple using professional (we are becoming less in numbers) I have always leaned further to the Android side of the mobile world. As a QlikView professional, most of my experience is on Windows desktops, laptops and servers and in previous years involved less interaction with what many people believe to be the greatest gadget(s) in the world.

So enter the iPad and QlikView V11.0.11426.0 SR2. Day one, the first step was simple, get to the QlikView Access Point. Open the browser, navigate to my access point and sign in. Outside of the search for the “\” key (domain\userid) that all went well.

The first question you are presented with after getting to the access point is would you like your default in full browser mode or small device mode. iPad is full browser. No question. I’m not a big fan of the small device mode unless the application was really made for phone use. The full browser mode gives you the full experience but beware: if the application was not developed for a smaller device, selection and navigation can become difficult. If you want your users to spend their time using the application, rather than zoom in, selecting, zoom out…repeat, follow some simple design rules from QlikView site:

- It is recommended that QlikView applications are designed for 980 x 590 with a tab row, and 980 x 610 without a tab row. This is a rule of thumb and depends on many things including the version of iPad your audience is using. I found myself struggling to keep the application down to this limit and expanded it slightly after thorough testing in a “no-tab” application.
- Use Arial or other font faces that are supported in iPad browser. I got lucky because my client gave me two options for font based on their creative team, one of which was supported.
- Font sizes – minimum 11pt. Good for most users. Someone with large hands will still probably struggle a bit selecting a specific line item but they probably struggle with most touch screen applications. I did cut this down to 9 and 10 pt sizes for informational only text areas that were non selectable.
- No Mouse Over Options – No mouse, not an option.
- There are some additional tips that I recommend you review but ultimately just keep in mind what you are designing for.

So now I am having enough fun with this that I really want to start testing out existing applications, some designed for mobile and some not. Unfortunately my lack of attention span kicked in and I was diverted over to the Apple Store to discover QlikView for iOS.