QlikView Review

Excellent product (if RAM intensive) that is easy to use and delivers on its promises.

What is most valuable?

Ease of development. Data Discovery and Analytics

How has it helped my organization?

Great insight into our data and aides both business explanations and data analysis.

What needs improvement?

Collaboration. Data Input.

5 years

None

None

Once your user base or applications get large you do need a powerful server with lots of RAM.

Customer Service: Excellent and great community interactions as well.Technical Support: Excellent

This was our my first in memory data discovery tool. I have used more static reporting solutions such as SSRS, BOXI etc but they are not really a comparable product to QlikView, Tableau or Spotfire.

Very simple, standard desktop installation file and when performing the server install it requires very little Windows Server knowledge.

In house

Depends on licence version purchased an number of licenced users. One off software purchase plus 20% annual maintenance plan.

Tableau, Spotfire

What other advice do I have?

It is a great product that is easy to learn. Ensure you still put the necessary work into the "back-end" design as even thought the new breed of BI tools are easy to use, having a well designed data structure behind the model will make the speed and scalability that much better.
2 Comments

author avatarDatabase Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees

I agree with Mr. Matthew Mottram regarding scalability issues. Performance of QlikView is noticeably degraded while dealing with large amount of data and executing expressions that involve multiple tables. The execution time exceeds 7-10 seconds which is unacceptable by many users and developers.

author avatarJhornber
Top ReviewerTop 20Real User

@imran_sh I'm curious, when you say large amounts of data, are you talking tables with millions of rows? or hundreds of millions, or even greater?