QlikView Review

The business is delighted with its self-service capabilities, without the usual restrictions working through traditional IT channels.

What is most valuable?

QlikView’s Associative Data Model allow business users to easily create data models.

QlikView’s in-memory technology offers lightning-fast drill-down and drill-through capabilities.

The ability to apply row-based security provides the flexibility to deploy a single application and restrict access to sensitive data according to role.

How has it helped my organization?

We are busy rolling out QlikView as a self-service BI tool. The business is delighted with the capabilities they have without the usual restrictions they encountered working through the traditional IT channels.

What needs improvement?

• Robust Version Control integration, limited in current versions
  • Automated deployment between DEV/UAT/PROD environments, currently these are manual file-based operations
  • More descriptive system metrics and lower-level diagnostic and performance metrics at the application level

Deployment is easy and straightforward, even for non-technical resources.

Stability is largely linked to the infrastructure and requirements. QlikView SA has provided extensive guidance on deploying suitable hardware to support our environment.

Scalability depends on the environment and requirements. If you have large data sets, due to the in-memory nature of QlikView, the hardware needs to support your requirements.

I rate technical support 10/10, excellent. Qlik as well as our local QlikView Partner, QlikView SA, provides extremely good service and support.

There is also an extremely large and active online community.

We evaluated IBM Cognos and SAP BusinessObjects. We chose QlikView because of its online community, extensibility and support, and large demand from business.

Initial setup was straightforward, but consideration needs to be taken when procuring the hardware.

Implementation was a combination of in-house and vendor. Take the time to understand the underlying architecture and deployment setup to later be able to troubleshoot the environments.

We realised instant value through data discovery not previously possible with traditional BI.

Consolidating six disparate instances into a single group instance has improved our ROI immensely.

Care should be taken to purchase the right type of licensing blend for the environment.

Take time to understand the different license types, the requirements from users, usage model, etc., before deciding on licenses.

Potentially get some demo licenses before purchasing.

What other advice do I have?

Happy Qlikking!

Take the time to understand the data, and develop solid data models. This will ensure good performance and a great user experience.

Just because QlikView can do it, doesn’t mean it should. (There is still a place for traditional BI, databases and ETL/ELT.)

Develop fit-for-purpose applications.