QlikView Review

With its associative data capability, one click causes a whole ripple effect though the whole dashboard.

What is most valuable?

QlikView’s associative ability. The AQL that QlikView uses to associate and ‘bring together’ similar data types (based on name) is extremely powerful and useful. One click causes a whole ripple effect though the whole dashboard, because everything is associated to one another.

How has it helped my organization?

We have used code to create a calendar effect. We then loop through that calendar, executing SQL at the end of each month. This is not easy to mimic in normal SQL, and would require an SQL package to perform such a thing.

QlikView allows us to perform these feats with ease.

What needs improvement?

QlikView does not work very well with very large data sets. I would like to see that improved.

I have used this product since Jan 2013.

Besides the stability issue with large data sets, I have not encountered any other deployment, stability or scalability issues.

Technical support is 3/10.

I have not evaluated any solution similar to QlikView (e.g. Tableau).

We did not previously use a similar solution.

Initial setup was straightforward.

A vendor team implemented it. They knew the tool best and we could get it up & running a lot quicker. Part of the implementation included training.

Not easy to answer. What we use it for, internal to the company, is to track internal costs as we manage quite a number of cost centers. We've successfully managed our budgets and have recovered quite a substantial amount of money for our CC as QV has allowed us to track incorrect CC billing.

What other advice do I have?

QlikView really works well. We have had no complaints from users about its functionality. There has never (or hardly) been a time where a user makes a comment like “Oh, pity that QlikView can't do this…”