QlikView Review

As long as its back end data model is well designed, it is intuitive.

What is most valuable?

The strongest characteristics of the product are its ease of use and its data discovery and exploration capabilities:

• Ease of use, as it is very intuitive, as long as its back end data model is well designed, providing its end users with a high level of autonomy and the developers with a very intuitive and complete set of tools.
  • Data discovery and exploration, thanks to its in-memory data association capabilities that provide a fast and easy way to relate and explore data.

How has it helped my organization?

As a consultant, QlikView has helped me deliver high-value BI solutions to my customers, consistently exceeding their expectations and creating new opportunities for my firm.

What needs improvement?

It could be more mobile friendly, as some of its features don’t work properly on mobile devices or do not provide the best user experience to our customers who would like to extend their access to data. A Cortana/Siri-like feature or advanced analytical capabilities for users with advanced scripting and statistical skills would also extend its usage in the organizations where I operate.

I have been working with QlikView for about 4 years.

I still find some fine tuning issues when scaling up in concurrent usage or data volumes.

Strong customer service, not as strong on the technical part, and the community is still a bit underdeveloped.

I’ve also worked with other main market solutions like Microsoft, or Tableau, but over the last few years, QlikView has evolved considerably, especially when they completed it’s offering with Qlik Sense 2. Although it is not as versatile as the Microsoft solutions, it is stronger in ease of use and development when compared to Power BI for example. It’s licensing costs when compared to Tableau are also a differentiating factor.

It was extremely simple and straightforward to implement.

We do our own implementations without the need for a high level of involvement from the QlikTech vendor team. Our main advice is that a good understanding of how tabular models work when designing the data model, and a good understanding of the full QlikView offering specifically in terms of ETL, are fundamental for a good QlikView implementation project.

BI implementation projects using QlikView are normally faster to execute and faster to get the customer to perceive its value. However, it makes sense to start with a smaller investment specifically on QlikView licensing, as modeling the data and implementing the ETL part is still the biggest bottleneck. It doesn’t make any sense doing a big investment in user licensing, when the real use of QlikView still depends on getting the data to make sense.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have your data straight - think like Kimball, but act like Inmon - before moving to QlikView.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: My company is a Qlik partner.