QlikView Review

You can use it to look at large data volumes without straining the database or waiting a long time for data discovery.

What is most valuable?

• Integration capabilities
  • Speed
  • Amount of data that can be accessed within in a few clicks

Working in the IT environment gets challenging especially when you have multiple sources of data that you need to combine. QlikView makes this really easy and simple to do, because QlikView has its own ETL modeler built into it. Having an all-in-one tool is quite an advantage.

How has it helped my organization?

QlikView has made it possible to look at large data volumes without having the drawback of strain on the database and waiting long periods for data discovery. QlikView has also helped people switch over from reporting to do more analysis and data discovery. QlikView has also helped serve as an alternative to Excel reports.

What needs improvement?

This is really an awesome product, but there is room for improvement regarding the visual aspect (this has been sorted out in their new product – Qlik Sense). Some features are a bit tedious to achieve results, especially for new users and people who have not had training or experience in using the product.

I have used it for four years.

I have not encountered any deployment, stability or scalability issues.

I rate the level of customer service and technical support 9/10.

Initial setup was straightforward. I would recommend getting someone from Qlik to advise or do the initial setup to eliminate any issues.

Get Qlik to do the initial setup.

I also looked at Tableau, Sisense, and SAP BusinessObjects. Tableau is a good tool, but has a few drawbacks when your data source is not in the correct format. BusinessObjects is a bit old school (reporting) and SAP HANA is costly to implement. BusinessObjects is also costly and requires a lot of work in the data and business layer.

What other advice do I have?

Determine what you require and get the tool that suits your need the best. Compare products and if you decide to go with Qlik, I personally prefer Qlik Sense. Again, this depends on your business need.