QlikView Review

The associative indexing engine does away with the need to design and build OLAP cubes.

What is most valuable?

• The associative indexing engine that does away with the need to design and build OLAP cubes. Instead, it can integrate information from multiple sources in one data model that is easy to maintain, expand, and completely flexible to navigate (no pre-defined query paths).
  • The out-of-the-box ETL capability that takes care of the necessary data transformations without having to rely on a separate product.

How has it helped my organization?

All information analysis, from casual one-shots to continuous tracking reports, is done with QlikView. This lets us see new patterns as they develop, enabling us to react quickly.

What needs improvement?

Currently, there is no SaaS licensing model.

The ETL tool could use some visual aids in addition to the wizards that help to build the code.

Visualization design is not drag-and-drop.

I have used it for 6.5 years.

I have not experienced any deployment, stability or scalability issues, except when the workload load exceeds the hardware capabilities, which is the result of poor sizing, poor development practices, or unanticipated growth.

Customer service is almost always spotless.

Tech support is efficient, but seldom necessary due to the very large and dynamic user community.

We did not previously use a different solution. Choosing it comes naturally because we resell Qlik.

Initial setup is as straightforward as client/server installations go. Complexity can arise when getting access to data sources or integrating with third-party security, for example.

We implemented it in house, because we have a Qlik consulting practice. My advice is to not overcomplicate the implementation with excessive design, because the data model can grow organically over time.

Historically, ROI is best-in class for this kind of solution. My advice is: If you have many users, use the large deal size to your advantage.

What other advice do I have?

Join the Qlik Community, ask around if you have any questions, and hire certified consultants.

Take my rating in the context of a complete Business Intelligence platform: data acquisition, transformation, reporting, dashboards, visualization, analytics, collaboration, mobility, and so on.

More QlikView reviews from users