Quadient Inspire Review

Makes it much easier to label items clearly and introduce new options later without having to fundamentally alter what has been done previously

What is our primary use case?

We are a Security Print business producing the world’s most important documentation for a wide variety of different clients who require input and output in numerous formats and volumes. This often involves spreadsheets and text file sources or captures from documents such as PDFs. From there we use Quadient to manipulate these records in any number of ways to fulfill the clients' requirements to produce numerous types of documents that contain all sorts of programmed security features. The capabilities of Quadient allow for us to create inline packing manifests and labels for despatch not only mainly in the UK but also around the world.

How has it helped my organization?

Previous solutions we had implemented before Quadient were tiresome in their use with painfully slow processing speeds by comparison. In one example, a task that would have taken a couple of hours previously had been reduced to just a few minutes with various output types that cater to all of our needs. It has allowed us to market for work that previously we would not have been able to produce. Arming our sales team with more options when going to market against competitors. This has been a resounding success in our organization when it comes to winning more niche contracts.

What is most valuable?

The user-friendly way that workflows in Quadient Inspire can be composed and organized goes a long way towards minimizing the time spent creating complex tasks, thus creating more available programming time/capacity for new jobs. While original scripting knowledge is preferential to using the tool effectively, the modular structure and GUI interface makes it much easier to grasp than otherwise might have been the case. It also makes it much easier to label items clearly and introduce new options later without having to fundamentally alter what has been done previously.

What needs improvement?

The de-bug/help system is quite ambiguous at times and only works if you know where to look, but I find that its search facility is perhaps not as extensive as it might be and often returns fairly random results unless the search terms used are very specific.

However, it should be pointed out that the provider does have a very good support network in place with expert users proving most helpful. Quadient University and the Quad are valuable resources where experienced users are on hand to provide prompt solutions to even complex problems; even sometimes going to the lengths of creating example workflows and scripts to carry out the required task.

I personally have been using Quadient Inspire for around seven years.

Our organisation has been using Inspire for several years now with me joining from another company that used Quadient 18 months ago. We have been enormously impressed with the consistency of performance. We occasionally come across some system crashes usually when we have a script error and the program finds itself in a continuous loop, which can be a pain if you haven’t saved your work. In terms of the system itself, I cannot recall any major issues we have suffered regarding its stability.

Within our organisation Quadient has radically improved our setup and processing efficiency and has enabled us to offer clients options and turnaround schedules that would not have been possible previously (Print, PDF, Email, Data etc.). We have completed tasks of wide-ranging scales and complexities with a highly impressive performance from Quadient Inspire, with regular high volume jobs not causing us any issues in processing.

As we have increased our usage of Inspire we decided to expand it (We recently purchased the PDF output licence), we have obviously been presented with more challenges that we have not faced before. However, the online support forums and Quadient direct support has proved invaluable many times with very helpful users not only on hand to expertly solve our problems, but occasionally even prepared to construct and supply example workflows aiding us through the initial build process.

The previous tool we used was called Pres. This was much too cumbersome to use it did not contain a GUI visual and was entirely script/code until output. This was deemed not to be efficient in helping us meet our clients' requirements promptly and effectively. Processing times also proved to be a problem, especially when we began to appreciate the power of Quadient Inspire.

Given that this was a significant change this was a smooth process. Thanks in part to the intuitive structure of the product itself, and also to the help we received from the provider, this process went much more smoothly than might have been expected. It was only when we had to move the legacy jobs from Pres to Quadient we saw a time impact but this was inevitable.

We implemented through a vendor and would recommend they were very helpful.

I don’t know the exact ROI that the organisation has with Quadient. But it is clear with the organisation willing to invest in it further even in this current economic climate that its return is far outweighing its investment.

I do not have the costing and licensing details available to me, but I have been made aware that due to the vastly improved performance and efficiency compared to previous methods, the product has vastly returned on the organisations investment.

We evaluated the upgrade to Pres alongside a program that Xerox use that’s their upgrade on VIPP I believe but both couldn’t offer what Quadient did.

What other advice do I have?

The advice I have for anyone thinking of investing in Quadient Inspire, I can recommend it to anyone considering it as a solution for anyone in the Print/Mail/Comms industry it is a must. It is easy to “Stick to what you know” but believe me in this case the grass is greener.