What is most valuable?
Cross project customization through template really helps to maintain standards with respect to fields, workflows throughout the available projects.
Traceability feature really allows you to maintain linkage between all the test artifacts, starting from Releases>Requirements>Test Coverage>Test Execution>Defects. ALM allows you to maintain complete end-to-end process.
Business Views has really come in handy for all users, as different kinds of reports can be created very easily and published to all the stakeholders.
Synchronizer add-in has allowed us to integrate Microfocus ALM to other third-party tools like JIRA, ClearCase and ClearQuest, and helps to eliminate the isolation between these tools.
ALM has brought great collaboration among the team members.
How has it helped my organization?
Helps to maintain all the test artifacts in one place as a central repository where all teams can contribute and collaborate with each other.
What needs improvement?
- Defect ageing reports need to be included as built-in
- Availability of built-in report related to Defect Removal efficiency
- Availability of built-in report for calculating Defect Density
- Availability of built-in report for end-to-end traceability
- Availability of reports specific to Automation projects.
- Ability to include Test Set data in Libraries so that Test Set execution can be transferred to other projects using Library functionality
- Ability to upload Test Execution results from Excel to HPE ALM
- Ability to maintain Manual and Automation projects in single HPE ALM project
- Composite execution of manual and automated scripts would be helpful
- SLA-related ability for defect module where ALM would send automail to stakeholders for the defects which have not been updated in a long time
For how long have I used the solution?
I have been using the solution for 10 years now.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
ALM is quite a stable application. We had some issues during the initial setup but it's been stable since, due to right level of competency/expertise we have in the organization to maintain the ALM setup.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
How is customer service and technical support?
Technical support is not that great. We really need to push to get HPE support to provide a resolution for technical issues. Tech support needs to improved now, as it has deteriorated badly.
Which solutions did we use previously?
HPE ALM was our first choice.
How was the initial setup?
Initial setup was not that complex.
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
HPE has always been flexible in terms of pricing and licensing, but we are a bit concerned with the fact that it is now in the hands of Micro Focus and things may change.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
What other advice do I have?
Think about the below before you start implementing this product:
- What’s the total user base you are expecting to on-board?
- How many projects/countries/entities are going to be on-boarded to the platform, and then design the hardware configurations accordingly.
- Do you have any other tools which need to be integrated with this product? Is there any ready-to-use integration already available or do you need to build it from scratch?
- Note that this product does provide the ability to control user access and provides security.
- Talk to your network security team and check if anything specific needs to implemented along with this product, like dual factor user provisioning, reverse proxy, TLS 1.1, TLS 1.2. Does this product support all these?
- Check the organization plan in terms of roll-out of latest Operating Systems, Browsers. Does this product support those latest OSs, browsers, versions, etc?
- Hire a HP ALM administrator expert who can guide you to implement the product in the right manner.
Disclosure: I am a real user, and this review is based on my own experience and opinions.
Sep 18 2017