Qualys VM Review

The installation of the local hardware scanner appliance is easy, but the asset tagging needs lots of improvements.

What is most valuable?

• Vulnerability management
  • Policy compliance
  • Scalability

How has it helped my organization?

As a leading IT services organization, it is very important for us to have a proactive identification/assessment of vulnerabilities. We also need to be able to remedy them in a timely manner before they exploit our security configuration compliance, and then harden our security for both system/network devices and applications. We need to do this both before and after placing them in production environment.

With QualsyGuard we have been able to achieve this by utilizing its modules, such as vulnerability management, policy compliance, web scanning, malware detection, and asset tagging.

What needs improvement?

As users of Qualys for the last three years, we have identified and shared many areas where Qualys needed to have improvements, including --

• Vulnerability database having some false positives, although this is rare;
  • Web scan module requires authentication to access basic web forms;
  • Asset tagging needs lots of improvements as it's currently a complex technique; and
  • For policy compliance, they need to add more leading IT standards with regards to all the leading IT service provides like Juniper, Cisco, Microsoft, etc.

I've been using this product for the last three years.

This is a very stable product and we haven't faced any issues since its deployment apart from announced downtimes for upgrades and improvements.

No issues encountered.

Support is available 24/7 via phone and e-mail. Remote session support is also available.

They have excellent expertise.

No previous solution was used.

It's easy as it is a SaaS, cloud-based service. The installation of the local hardware scanner appliance is also easy.

We used a vendor team who was excellent.

I cannot give you the exact ROI on this, but as a large information and communication technology service provider, a 24/7 service availability that leads to customer satisfaction is our key goal. Regular VM and compliance assessment results in the complete hardening of our critical assets defending us against any exploits that leads to unavailability of our services.

No, because it was already in use at our parent company and it was providing good results for a low price as well.

What other advice do I have?

• Collect complete asset inventory details (asset type, service/application details, administrator details etc.).
  • Provide awareness session to the support team about Qualys, its usage, and functionality.
  • Prepare OLAs and SOPs for better co-ordination between the teams.
More Qualys VM reviews from users