Quest Foglight for APM [EOL] Review

I've used Nagios, HP SiteScope, CA APM and others but Foglight could do most of what CA could do plus much more.

What is most valuable?

The ability to make any number of amazing dashboards in the Foglight Management Server is probably the most useful feature for me. This is really enhanced when you add the data from some of the other tools such as Foglight Experience Monitor.

How has it helped my organization?

I can give several examples of how this product improved how the organization functions.

What needs improvement?

When we first turned on Foglight for the first time, it was like a fire hose. It was difficult to tell which alerts were important and what was not. It took several weeks to sort through all the alerts and tune the thresholds to appropriate levels etc. It is a double edged sword because it is important to see all the data and find out what is important for your organization but it is a lot of work.

I have used Foglight professionally for about 2 years.

Dell came down and setup a demo of Foglight into our dev environment. This made it much easier to setup when it came time to do so in our production environment. We still ran into issues but with help from Dell Support, and the forums we worked through them until everything was working.

Yes, we had problems with stability after experimenting with custom agents that didn’t work properly. We were able to get everything resolved through support channels.

We didn't experience any issues.

Customer Service: 4 out of 5 – Every once in a while it would be hard to get the proper help through their ticketing service. I would have to call/message our sales rep and get them to kick the service guys in the butt. Definitely better than average.Technical Support: At one point Dell had a guy coming to our office once a month just to check how we were doing and answer questions. They did that for FREE.

Nagios, CA APM, HP SiteScope, PeopleSoft Performance Monitor and many more. We had a very large organization with different departments using different products. Many other tools are capable, but IMO not as flexible or powerful except for particular applications. Some of the CA tools were really great with JAVA applications, but Foglight could do most of what CA could do plus much more.

Initial setup was relatively complex. My organization opted to purchase the entire Foglight suite. It was tough trying to understand how to get everything talking. We had the FMS (Foglight management server), Foglight experience monitor and viewer (hardware), and Foglight performance monitor for the databases. For many of the agents to work properly on the servers you install a Foglight agent manager on each server you're monitoring.

In-house

Yes, HP’s various products (I say various because they have a lot of overlapping tech in this area), CA APM and other tools, and various other products. In my honest opinion Dell’s offerings (formerly Quest) is the most mature.

What other advice do I have?

If you are just starting out, get a Foglight management server and install the agents. After seeing what that alone can do for you, then branch out to the other products especially FxM and FxV.
More Quest Foglight for APM [EOL] reviews from users