Quest Foglight for APM Review

It helped with pinpointing issues with database performance and thus improved our reaction speed.

Valuable Features

The extensive monitoring tools embedded in Foglight are a real asset. You can really drill deep into the how and why an alert was created.

Improvements to My Organization

As a systems operator, Foglight helped with pinpointing issues with database performance and thus improved our reaction speed. The information we received wasn't just general, it's really extensive.

Room for Improvement

I recall that the lay-out was rather dull when I used this particular version of Foglight. I'm not sure if this was a user settings or not but a fully grey-white theme with sparse highlights made it sometimes difficult to find my way around. I had some issues with finding acknowledged alerts. Although I think some settings could have been managed by better by the customer, but I read that this was alleviated in future versions.

Use of Solution

I've probably used Foglight for about two years. After that, the customer switched to another solution.

From the few talks that I had with the responsible software engineers at our customer I can safely say that deployment happened with relative ease.

As long as the software was in use we did not encounter any technical issues.

As long as the software was in use we did not encounter any technical issues.

I was not in contact with Dell for Foglight technical issues, this was handled by our customer.

Other Solutions Considered

Our customer migrated to SCOM for most of their monitoring.

Other Advice

While I did not implement Foglight, I would always advice everyone to just compare all options and pick the one that suits their organization best. Some companies like to analyze any and all alerts to the very core by using a varied amount of tools while others require way simpler monitoring.