Quest Foglight for APM Review

We also gain some insight into our business partners performance and can often point out to them when they're having issues.

Improvements to My Organization

Given that we track performance we can often see issues happening before users are affected. We also gain some insight into our business partners performance and can often point out to them when they're having issues to help them get in front of issues.

Valuable Features

The ability to track performance of an application or application suite over time is extremely valuable to our business partners and for our application development team with near real time results. Additionally the ability to track both real and synthetic user performance and compare real to synthetic user performance as a baseline is important to us on several fronts; real users make human decisions and we can see how their performance compares to "perfect" synthetic users running scripts to do similar tasks. And because our synthetic users run consistently 24/7 we also can compare peak traffic performance to off peak performance.

Room for Improvement

Overall the development of Foglight has been spot on for our use. There are some metrics I'd like to track that are difficult to find or implement into a tracking solution without a lot of manual work and there is some proprietary nomenclature that can be confusing but I don't expect either to be resolved.

We've had no issues with its stability.

The scalability is fine except for the cost.

Excellent, very responsive, very friendly, knowledgeable and quick to assign to the correct support people, I've never had any issue on any of the dozens (hundreds?) of tickets I've opened over the last four years.

We currently use multiple systems for monitoring including OEM, Splunk, Apex, Nagios, there are others. Foglight is the best overall solution we use, but it doesn't do everything we need or doesn't provide the best solution to everything we want to monitor.

It's very straightforward, and had good documents. We got great vendor support.

Implementation Team

Combination, the vendor was over the shoulder as we implemented.

ROI

I don't know anything about this, but the business seems happy about it.

Other Advice

Ensure that you set aside money to get training from Dell. The system is complex and has quirks that aren't readily apparent without knowledge.