QuickBooks Desktop Review

An easy to use accounting software at a reasonable price

What is our primary use case?

I have used this product for my own accounting business and my clients' businesses in various industries for 16+ years.

How has it helped my organization?

This product is for a low-cost comprehensive accounting package for a small business. It automatically provides industry reports without additional setup.

What is most valuable?

It is an easy to use accounting software at a reasonable price. It is built for small businesses to track income and expenses, track sales tax and inventory, pay 1099 contractors, create and send invoices and estimates, manage bills and accounts payable. It has built-in industry reports and industry specific features (e.g., progress billing for contractors or tracking donor contributions for non-profits).

What needs improvement?

The ability to integrate outside apps is lacking (compared to the online versions) and ability to download bank transactions does not work as well as it should.

No issues. I have never had a problem.

This product is intended for small businesses and allows for up to five simultaneous users, with a purchase of multiple licenses. If you need more users, you will need to upgrade to QuickBooks Enterprise.

Intuit has some phone and email customer support, but it relies on its online community support center for asking and answering questions about the products. Anyone can answer questions in the community topics, so the information is not always direct from Intuit.

I have used Intuit QuickBooks Desktop Pro in the past, but it did not have the more robust features that I needed for my business. The Pro version is a good starting point for a small business that has simple accounting needs, but it does not have as much reporting or tracking capabilities as the Premier version.

The installation is easy and straightforward. The automated software setup will prompt you to select an industry type and walk you through the setup. Some companies will find value in using a QuickBooks ProAdvisor to provide additional setup for their company.

I have only implemented through an in-house team.

As a very low cost software, the ROI is usually met within in the first few months compared to more expensive software or a manual process (like Excel).

The price is reasonable and can be bought in-store or online. The number of licenses needed is based on the number of people you will have working simultaneously.

In comparison to Desktop, I have only used other Intuit products, i.e., Pro, Premier, Enterprise, and Accountant. I have used other online options, such as Xero, and feel that they are not comparable products to Desktop. For most small businesses, QuickBooks Desktop is the best solution. I recommend Premier over Pro.

What other advice do I have?

I would first evaluate if QuickBooks Desktop or QuickBooks Online would be the best option for your company. If you decide on QuickBooks Desktop, I would look to the online community or a ProAdvisor for help on setting up the best configuration for your company right from the beginning. Always start using a new product like this from the beginning of a fiscal year, not midyear, even if that means entering all the old data.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: I am a QuickBooks Certified ProAdvisor in both Online Advanced and Desktop. I am provided with Intuit products at a wholesale rate and resell to my clients.