Qumulo Review

Easy to set up, good technical support, and it provides valuable usage analytics

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and Qumulo is one of the storage products that we implement for our customers. Our customers have many use cases including storing office data, audio-video, graphics, and more. Our customer base is primarily in the media and entertainment business

What is most valuable?

The feature that I like most is the analytics part of the file system. It offers good insight into the process including what and where things are happening, including which users and what files are involved.

They have implemented the most important features and they're steadily enhancing it. The update schedule and roadmap are such that every two weeks, there are new features being released.

What needs improvement?

There is plenty of room for improvement.

In the future, I would like to see non-disruptive updates.

Switching our or replacing nodes should be easier to do.

We have been working with Qumulo for about two years.

Our customers for this product are small to mid-sized companies.

We have been in touch with technical support and I think that they're very good. They are very responsive and very knowledgeable.

We work with a variety of different products and vendors for storage solutions. We're selling Dell EMC storage, Unity, Isilon, Qumulo, Pure Storage, and more recently, Cloudian.

Compared to Isilon, they have only a subset of the features.

The initial setup is easy. The setup of the cluster itself, without the hardware installation, can be done within an hour. As long as somebody has the proper networking skills then it will be easy for them to set it up.

We have our own team of five people who handle the maintenance for our customers.

What other advice do I have?

The mastery of the market in this space comes down to scale and from my perspective, Qumulo and Isilon are the only two products in the market. My preference is Qumulo and I recommend it.