Quorum OnQ Review

Easy to set up and the capability of restoring to a VM facilitates safe testing

What is our primary use case?

I use Quorum OnQ to backup all of the production servers on my network. These include all file, AD, email, and financial servers. We are using OnQ to back up full images of servers as well as simple file backups. This is our primary disaster recovery solution.

How has it helped my organization?

When I started at my current organization they had a scattered approach to backup. Some servers backed up locally, some to various cloud services, others not at all. Management of all those solutions was a disaster. OnQ allowed me to back everything up consistently and for less money. I get a daily digest and I know that my systems are protected.

What is most valuable?

I have used the BMR (Bare Metal Restore) in several emergencies and it has absolutely saved my bacon. I love being able to bring up a machine as a VM too. I've used that to test system upgrades and system deployments without having to worry about breaking anything in production. It is easy to wipe and repeat those tests as you need to.

What needs improvement?

I don't love the scheduler, as I think that interface could use an overhaul. I have always managed to get it to work the way I wanted it to, but it could be nicer and more user-friendly. Having to pick that a job repeats every 23:59 is a bit ridiculous in this day and age.

I have used this solution for thirteen years at two different companies.

This solution is rock solid and something I rely on every day.

For a small business, this solution has everything I need.

I have used support dozens of times in the past thirteen years and in all cases they were helpful, professional, and knowledgeable.

I have used Backup Exec with DLT and LTO type tapes. Tape backup is just a thing of the past and Backup Exec just didn't have good offsite options at that time.

I have used EVault and similar remote solutions, but the bandwidth was always an issue. They didn't perform good delta backups and didn't offer BMR at all.

The initial setup is very simple. They walk you right through it.

The vendor team set up and shipped the server to me, preconfigured. I then worked with an implementation specialist to get everything working on my network. I couldn't have asked for an easier process or better people to work with.

On multiple occasions, I have had to run a server in recovery mode because the physical server failed (motherboard failure, etc.). Our business was able to run normally during those times and when new hardware was in I was able to do a BMR without interrupting business.  That is fifty coworkers who were not idled because of failed hardware. That is pretty huge.

This is the best money I spend on my budget. We have never questioned whether it is worth it because it so obviously is a great value.

At this point, I haven't looked at other solutions in many years. I moved to OnQ thirteen years ago at my previous company and loved it. When I started at my new company and saw the mess their backup was in, I immediately switched to OnQ.

What other advice do I have?

Setup was a breeze, and the support and training is excellent. If you are a knowledgeable user, then they will work with you at your level, but if you just need them to do it for you then they will do that too.