Quorum OnQ Review

Tests each VM after backups and provides a dashboard view of backup accuracy and the viability of my DR solution

What is our primary use case?

Backups, file recovery, DR capability, and instant VM recovery are our primary needs and the OnQ system does those expertly.

Our infrastructure is a combination of hosted and on-prem. Co-locating our HA appliance in the data center near our SAN environment provides a knockout combination of speed and security, and the environmental fears are not present. This bunker approach protects our primary HQ data and also backs up remote servers across our WAN. We cover all our bases by protecting every server and VM in our environment, and even our specialty machines. The HA/DR appliances also provide us with a rock-solid implementation of DR.

How has it helped my organization?

We've used the Quorum OnQ appliances, HA and DR, for the past six years. It is a rock-solid platform that has served us well. We recently retired our aging OnQ appliances and upgraded to the new generation of OnQ servers. The change has been impressive. The new hardware is substantially faster and we are able to apply the OnQ solution to additional business segments in our company as the backup times have decreased between five and tenfold.  We are now retiring other backup solutions as we push out protection via OnQ to other business units.

What is most valuable?

The change in the way that Quorum processes data has made a tremendous improvement in backup and replication times. While the familiar interface remains, the underpinnings have been finely tuned and the speed is incredible. My large Exchange Server went from 5- to 6-hour backups down to 22 minutes.

The instant file recovery is a great time saver, enabling us to pull up a version of a file instantly and restore. Typical restore times are about two minutes, start to finish.

The guarantee that my data is available and that my servers are recoverable is the best feature. The OnQ technology tests each VM after backups and I always have a dashboard view of the accuracy of my backups and the viability of my DR solution. Replication between units is flawless and I never have to worry about where my data is sitting if a disaster occurs.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see iSCSI support added so that NAS storage servers could be protected. We heavily utilize NAS storage and the risk there is minimal backup options. Currently, we are backing up NAS to NAS which is costly and slow. Being able to integrate NAS server backup would be the last item on my Quorum bucket list.

I am excited to see enhanced support for Linux, which gives me an opportunity to let the Quorum start protecting my enterprise storage in our data centers. I would like to see this further developed as well.

I have been using this solution, the new version of Quorum OnQ, for 30 days. I used a previous version of the solution for about six years.

Quorum support is second to none. Their onboarding process for bringing you over to OnQ, or for upgrading units, is fantastic. Support is usually minutes away if needed, with a friendly voice on the first call to Quorum. All the support is based on the West Coast and they have a fantastic group of techs. Again, this adds to the value of your investment.

I've used a number of backup solutions over the years. Backup Exec, Windows Backup, cloud backup, various media types, and previously, the early generation of Quorum OnQ. The switch to the OnQ system was a huge paradigm shift in how I run my department.

Moving, again, to the latest revision of OnQ appliances and software has resulted in a substantial improvement in speed. Quite frankly, once you've used the Quorum OnQ system, you could not consider any alternative. I am frequently asked to consider Veeam but there is simply no consideration of Veeam or others on my part. They just do not compare when you run the numbers on RTO and RPO, and compare the simplicity.

The OnQ appliance system offers tremendous time savings for your IT department. Your ROI should consider the time savings for IT team members.

We did not consider other options on this upgrade. We were so satisfied with the previous OnQ system that there was no suitable replacement to consider.

What other advice do I have?

Don't underestimate your capabilities with Quorum OnQ. It will far outperform the max recommended capabilities that Quorum suggests.

More Quorum OnQ reviews from users