RabbitMQ Review

Supports real-time delivery of sensor data in different topic abstractions. I would like to see better handling of rolled off data from the queue.

What is most valuable?

RabbitMQ is good in its real-time capability of delivering the sensor data in different topic abstractions. It is quite easy to setup in our sensor network system which involves data monitor agents across geographically distributed organizations.

How has it helped my organization?

This tool made our research process easier and allowed our administration (monitoring) process to happen at the same time. We created different queues for different use cases of the same streaming data.

What needs improvement?

The solution can be improved in terms of how to handle the rolled off data from the queue. Currently, if the consumer does not consume a queue, the data in the queue will eventually overflow and be discarded.

I have used this solution for about a year.

Stability-wise, the consumer needs to configure with caution to make sure the queues never overflow. I have experienced data loss in scenarios in which consumer cases were configured incorrectly.

It would be nice if it could produce automatic load balancing when the number of brokers scales up.

The technical support is generally good in terms of being a nice and active user forum that has good documentation.

The initial setup is not very complex. We just needed to set up several broker instances running on different physical nodes to prevent unavailability. When we needed to add more nodes for more data and queues at a later time, it created a bit of load imbalance issues.

I would suggest that the vendor keep it the same way that it is now.

We chose this solution around 2010, so there weren’t many options at the time. We evaluated the native JMS method and it didn't scale up well.

What other advice do I have?

Keep in mind that the queue structure and the consumer configuration need to keep up with the queuing speed. I would suggest researching other options if you need bulk data publish/subscribe in persistent data storage, e.g., Apache Kafka.