RabbitMQ Review

Guaranteed message delivery, queuing, and low latency delivery are the most valuable features.

What is most valuable?

Guaranteed message delivery, queuing, and low latency delivery.

How has it helped my organization?

This allowed us to create a resilient network and independently scale various parts of the system dynamically as the business needs changed.

What needs improvement?

The biggest area we struggled with was operations troubleshooting. We were running a pretty big cluster and ended up with some random cluster failures that were difficult to troubleshoot. A good portion of these were self inflicted but occasionally the distributed database would end up corrupted.

I have been using RabbitMQ for six years, from prototype to production.

We had a bit of an issue with stability. The usual initial cause would be a hiccup in IOPS in EC2 but then this would cascade into more instability in our main clusters.

For the most part the product was very scalable. The only times we would have problems were usually related to Amazon hiccups that would cause the cluster to slow down.

We did not use their technical support much.

We evaluated a variety of message products and found that for the feature set RabbitMQ was the best.

Initial setup was relatively simple and then we were able to grow into the product by using more of the features.

We used the open source implementation and did not need to pay for support.

We looked at ZeroMQ, Kafka and Redis.

What other advice do I have?

You really need to have or train Erlang expertise. The Erlang tools will become the best way to troubleshoot misbehaving clusters.