What is most valuable?
Image backup is a valuable feature. Even though this is a common feature, it is very helpful for us.
What needs improvement?
- I found the elastic beanstalk of AWS very powerful and helpful. I think Rackspace should offer this sort of service.
- EBL offers better ready application server configuration and much more advanced capabilities.
- It doesn't offer Elastic IP like AWS. And also we can't configure our server based on region.
- Rackspace doesn't offer databases/warehouses like AWS, RDS, RedShift, SimpleDB, and DynamoDB.
- AWS offer a free usage tier, and Rackspace does not.
- You can visually stop/start servers using AWS interface, which I found less comfortable in Rackspace.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
There were no stability issues.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
- Vertical scalability is very limited compare with Amazon EC2, which offers many sorts of instances.
- We can stop/resume/terminate EC2 instances using the AWS visual control panel. But so far, I found this sort of activity less user friendly in Rackspace.
- Right now, we are working with Zoomdata. We can test/install Zoomdata in AWS EC2 instance with one click. This is a huge benefit for those who want to work with Zoomdata along with an AWS server.
- Rackspace definitely does not offer these services for Zoomdata.
How are customer service and technical support?
Technical support has been good, so far. I would rate them above average, but not super excellent.
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
We didn't use any previous solution. Right now, we are using AWS and find it very powerful and flexible.
How was the initial setup?
The setup was straightforward.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
We did not evaluate other solutions.
What other advice do I have?
If anyone's application is small and simple, then I would suggest Rackspace. Rackspace is suitable for SME.
But if anyone's application requires complex situations and an Enterprise environment to auto-scale, handling lots of services, with super control over your cloud server, then I would suggest AWS.
Right now, I am working with AWS and found many advance features which do not exist in Rackspace.
I am working with Rackspace for a school automation project which is running in Bangladesh.
Which version of this solution are you currently using?
8 GB Classic v1
Find out what your peers are saying about Rackspace, Amazon, Microsoft and others in Cloud Platform as a Service (PaaS Clouds). Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.