Rackspace Cloud [EOL] Review

Image backup is a valuable feature. It doesn't offer Elastic IP.

What is most valuable?

Image backup is a valuable feature. Even though this is a common feature, it is very helpful for us.

What needs improvement?

• I found the elastic beanstalk of AWS very powerful and helpful. I think Rackspace should offer this sort of service.
  • EBL offers better ready application server configuration and much more advanced capabilities.
  • It doesn't offer Elastic IP like AWS. And also we can't configure our server based on region.
  • Rackspace doesn't offer databases/warehouses like AWS, RDS, RedShift, SimpleDB, and DynamoDB.
  • AWS offer a free usage tier, and Rackspace does not.
  • You can visually stop/start servers using AWS interface, which I found less comfortable in Rackspace.

There were no stability issues.

• Vertical scalability is very limited compare with Amazon EC2, which offers many sorts of instances.
  • We can stop/resume/terminate EC2 instances using the AWS visual control panel. But so far, I found this sort of activity less user friendly in Rackspace.
  • Right now, we are working with Zoomdata. We can test/install Zoomdata in AWS EC2 instance with one click. This is a huge benefit for those who want to work with Zoomdata along with an AWS server.
  • Rackspace definitely does not offer these services for Zoomdata.

Technical support has been good, so far. I would rate them above average, but not super excellent.

We didn't use any previous solution. Right now, we are using AWS and find it very powerful and flexible.

The setup was straightforward.

We did not evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

If anyone's application is small and simple, then I would suggest Rackspace. Rackspace is suitable for SME.

But if anyone's application requires complex situations and an Enterprise environment to auto-scale, handling lots of services, with super control over your cloud server, then I would suggest AWS.

Right now, I am working with AWS and found many advance features which do not exist in Rackspace.

I am working with Rackspace for a school automation project which is running in Bangladesh.

8 GB Classic v1
More Rackspace Cloud [EOL] reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Rackspace, Amazon, Microsoft and others in Cloud Platform as a Service (PaaS Clouds). Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.