Rackspace Cloud Review
Reliable Service, lots of change

Valuable Features

Ability to quickly create reliable virtual servers. We've moved everything from gen 1 servers to new performance images. The performance flash drive based servers are very fast and have nice options for adding disk space. Cloud files have proven to be fast and reliable for us.

Room for Improvement

I wouldn't recommend adopting the first version of any of their new products. But once the bugs are worked out the services are robust and reliable.

It would be a bonus if they could automatically move around virtual machines in a clustered environment. We've had several problems where another host on a shared machine is getting a denial of service or overloading the server and that impacts our instance. In that case they have no way of moving you to a different base server, you either have to create a replacement server or wait for the problem to be resolved.

Use of Solution

Five years

Solution has generally been quite stable with only a few issues over the years.

The cloud load balancer product was a much needed system. Prior to that we had to create our own load balancer on a virtual server. Initially the cloud load balancer was not very stable but they've worked through the issues and it's much better. Now it's pretty easy to add in additional servers behind the load balancer if you need scalability.

All of the marketing is about fanatical service but in practice it's very hard to live up to those expectations. Most rackers are friendly and try to be very helpful.

It's often difficult to get timely support with a ticket, they seem to live by phone calls there. Many times you'll get a tech who runs through a checklist and sometimes can solve your problem. You can usually get escalation if the issue is severe or really needs help. I've found the service monitors you can set up through the control panel are often ignored by tech support as just noise. If you need support, you generally need to call them.

Other Advice

We're using their managed operations - sysops currently and have used the managed service for several years. This is a good way to reduce the need for in-house system admin skills and time but in practice this hasn't eliminated the need to have our own staff monitor this area. I like the idea of Rackspace managing the sysops side of the app but they probably need a better way to transfer knowledge to their team. It's very generic support by default.

2 visitors found this review helpful

1 Comment

Aimee WhiteReal UserELITE SQUADTOP 5

"I wouldn't recommend adopting the first version of any of their new products."

Nice tip there.

"All of the marketing is about fanatical service but in practice it's very hard to live up to those expectations. "

In my experience (certainly the DB lot) they were pretty darn knowledgeable and proactive.

23 August 16