Rackspace OpenStack Review

Highly customizable private cloud solution.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for the OpenStack is for migrating data from the cloud to on-premises. We want to migrate some of the open source OpenStack components to customize our work with our applications. Our main use is video streaming on Openstack.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the customization. With the customization you can really give the customers what they want.

What needs improvement?

In terms of what needs to be improved, I would say the support.

You're asking for the Rackspace OpenStack and I'm working on the open source OpenStack. Rackspace might have some good support but the open source OpenStack doesn't have support because there are too many versions coming and too many people are customizing it. That's why the support is a problem for open source versions.

It needs to develop a very good user interface which can compete with the public cloud.

In the next release, I would like to see more of the load balancing technologies and applications from the public cloud which OpenStack doesn't have right now.

I have been using Rackspace OpenStack for three years.

The OpenStack application version we use is Nexus Prime.

The stability is okay but there too many versions coming out. The line migration is a problem.

The scalability is good. The application is deployed in the OpenStack, so actually the user number is in lakhs, like with the application server.

I would rate the technical support a 6 or 7 out of ten.

In terms of the initial setup, currently we have multiple scripts. These scripts can deploy if you come back to feed them.

What other advice do I have?

One a scale of one to ten, I would rate Rackspace OpenStack a seven.