Radware Alteon Review

A good load-balancing reverse proxy for internal applications that is easy to setup and has good technical support

What is our primary use case?

I am a consultant, and I have customers who purchase Alteon Box. I help them with the design and architecture. The primary use case is mainly for load balancing internal applications, for internal-facing customers, as well as external customers on the internet.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the load-balancing and reverse proxy. Global-loadbalancing as well is valuable.

What needs improvement?

For a migration from F5 to Radware, the conversion of certain features is challenging :

1. From F5 ASM policies to Radware Appwall policies, we had to require support from professional services although the F5 ASM policy was basic.

2. Radware does not seem to support TLS extensions in the client_hello therefore migration of F5 scripts that was handing sessions with TLS extensions is a challenge.

3. overall migration of F5 scripts and specific configuration like profiles is a challenge

With the example above a radware conversion tool that would migrate scripts and configuration or from other vendor to Radware would be a real asset. Support of TLS extension would facilitate deployment with that scenario as well.

I have been working with Radware Alteon for approximately three years.

I find it to be stable. To date, we have not had any issues with it.

I have not had a chance to work on a scenario where we really carried a lot.

I am working on a project now where there are more applications going through Radware. Just now we are going to see how it works, regarding the scalability. It appears to be scalable but I can't tell you at this time.

Radware Alteon is used by the administrator, the network integrator, the people that are managing, and the internal management team and they seems comfortable with the learning curve an the handling of the solution.

My experience with technical support is that they were great. We also had engineers that know the product help to resolve the issue.

Our clients have replaced F5 with Radware Alteon.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We have a group of four to deploy and maintain this solution.

I design with Radware. I design myself and work with a team to integrate it.

I don't implement it as an integrator.

Yes, Forti ADC

What other advice do I have?

For anyone who is considering using this solution with application security or complex used case. I would suggest that they talk to professional services. I would recommend they work with professional services depending on the project complexity, and if it's migration, for instance, the scripting around the Radware is not something people would be familiar with. Professional services would be able to help with the scripting.

I would rate Radware Alteon a nine out of ten.

62 Series
More Radware Alteon reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Radware, F5, Citrix and others in Application Delivery Controllers. Updated: January 2021.
457,459 professionals have used our research since 2012.