Radware AppWall Review

Has good self-service features but they're not mature as an API solution

What is most valuable?

I like the concept of self-service in which I can do everything on my own.

They are very competitive with the price. Their solution could be successful in other organizations but they're not mature as an API solution. It has a nice dashboard, you can watch clean traffic coming to the end service but the reporting requires more improvement.

What needs improvement?

With self-service, we can use a lot of the features on our own but some of the features didn't work and nothing was done about it. We stopped using it because the application failed. We tried to improve some processes but we still got a lot of false positives. We tried to work with the vendor to fix it but it didn't work out.

False positives are a big issue for all of the WAF vendors. No one is 100% okay, it requires a lot of monitoring and fine-tuning. But the reason that I didn't work is because some of the services didn't work as I expected and they didn't fix it. They didn't give me answers to some of the issues that we raised again. So we weren't so happy. So we decided to look at other vendors that would please our stockholders but Coronavirus postponed our plans.

I have worked in this industry for a long time and I think there are benefits of using a WAF. It requires a lot of understanding of the product.

I had been using Radware for three years until this April. This product was running before I arrived at my company. I was the owner of it for the last year and I wasn't happy with the results.

We had one incident that we discovered some stability in some regions in which their service wasn't responsive and we have to notify them. Compared to other vendors, they are not at the top in API.

We don't have any problems with scalability, because they're a worldwide solution. They can populate your service all over the world.

I believe Akamai has a big network because they also working with CDN. So they know how to handle huge traffic.

We get good responses from them but not all of the responses solved the issue. I also tried to work with the customer success manager, but eventually, this failed because there was a long history of false positives before I arrived. The stakeholder wasn't so happy with the solution. We had a bad history with and nothing got resolved with the support, so we made a decision not to continue with them.

Radware is good, but if there is a full preparation from the beginning. I worked with the on-prem solution and it was good. But now, there are many players in the market. And I think they have a faster response. They are not the only player in the market. Once you are not happy with one, you can move to another.

Their support could improve.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of ten.

In the next release, they should offer the ability to illustrate KPIs using a graph. Radware needs to have visibility on the dashboard to demonstrate the benefit of using the application firewall like, how much bandwidth you saved by using the AppWall. I tried to use the graph, but sometimes it wasn't so clear. I think they have to work a lot on reporting and visibility because it's the fastest way to show the value for other people that are not graph experts.