Rally Software Review

It supports the SAFe toolkit so that you can create artifacts and define a whole bunch of teams. I'd like to see more maturity around Kanban metrics.

Valuable Features

The linkages between artifacts, going from epic to feature, from feature to user story is very native and works very well. The in-built support for scrum, so having good parts on the side and the tasks go across works. We can't do that with Trello. We can do that with LeanKit.

I think as for scrum adherence, it's very mature because I think it started as a scrum tool, and you can kind of tell that. The support for scale works very nicely.

Improvements to My Organization

It supports the SAFe toolkit so that you can create artifacts and define a whole bunch of teams. So you have a project pull-down, you have all the teams, and then program layer, and then the portfolio layers, so you've got the features live at the program. There's a top layer and a middle layer and then the bottom layer. It supports it very well.

Room for Improvement

Being a Kanban team inside of SAFe, some of the fields that you have to fill out are a little awkward, because then you can't use the views the way you want to. You have to assign it to all the SAFe people, and that might not be a Rally thing, only a SAFe thing.

I think you can kind of tell that they started from scrum so the Kanban support kind of feels like an afterthought. I'd like to see more maturity around Kanban metrics. So, here's your cycle time, here's your lead time. But I'd like to know why was my lead time that. I want to drill in. I want more ability to drill into the data with analytics.

Deployment hasn't been an issue.

I haven't noticed any crashing or poor performance. It's pretty solid.

It's scaled fine for us.

I've not used it, so I don't have an informed opinion.

We've used Physical, we've used Trello, we've used Gyro, we've used LeanKit, and we landed on Rally.

I think I was very involved in LeanKit and less so involved on the Rally side.

Other Advice

Sign up for the demo and play around with it, as painful as it is to try to maintain both tools at the same time. If you have a tool and you want to try a different tool, you almost have to actually use it. You can play around with it, you can look at the demos, and you can look at the documentation, but until you actually use it, you're not going to see where maybe the pain points are.