Rally Software Review

We use the dashboards to allocate and track team workload.

What is most valuable?

We use the dashboards to allocate and track team workload. It allows us to concentrate on deliverables rather than spending more time managing.

How has it helped my organization?

I have a team of about ten people. Like me, all our team leaders have difficulty managing their workload. They are spending at least half an hour a day to share their updates with team leadership and this costs us down the line. With Agile Central, everybody knows what their tasks are and the current status. This allows team members and leadership to focus on the current work deliverable rather than managing their work.

What needs improvement?

There are a couple of accelerators in the market that allow teams to manage meetings and notes, particularly stand-up call notes. Integrating these with Agile Central will be more powerful than manually explicitly adding it and generating reports. The capability to manage stand-up call minutes will inspire this to happen.

It's very stable. We have been using it for quite a long time. We have not seen any issues.

We try to make the most use of the API as much as we’re able, such as for automation updates. But we see a limited use of this regarding the dashboard. Aside from that, this a very good, powerful system.

I would rate technical support 7 out of 10. It has definitely exceeded our expectations especially regarding the integration of additional marketing tools. In these cases, we need the technical support team and they promptly answer us. They help us through the process in case there are any issues and help us determine whether an issue is an application or outside issue.

Originally we were using JIRA and a couple of other products but scalability and technical support were a big challenge. These were issues that kept us from upgrading as fast as we wanted to deliver. Agile Central is more stable and a proven product. CA technical support is much better and they help us progress with more integrations, helping with more with manual interventions.

I was not involved in the initial setup. I was in a separate team that does not configure Agile Central. We are the end users.

JIRA was one of the options, but scalability had been a big challenge. They also had limited support. There were open source projects available, but they require a lot of investment to build from scratch and make use of the basic features that are available. In the long run it would take too much effort for us to take it forward. Whereas with an existing product like Agile Central, it’s easy to just start using it.

What other advice do I have?

Agile Central allows us to more effectively plan our sprints. As a sprint progresses, we learn more about what works and what doesn’t. We can then apply that learning directly into the next sprint. When we have perfected our system, we will be able to create things like burn down charts so we can colorize what happened and analyze more clearly our process with little manual analysis necessary.

One of our major criteria for a vendor is whether the product will help us be more productive. We want to know their track record. The market is marching towards CDCA. If we have parts of features already coded, how that can be transformed to this new paradigm is a key area.

More Rally Software reviews from users