Rally Software Review

With the portfolio management feature, we were able to understand our capacity and visually understand initiatives in-flight.

What is most valuable?

Portfolio management is a valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

It is 100% designed for agile. So if you run an agile/scrum organization, it will work for you.

With the portfolio management feature, we were able to understand our capacity for the first time and visually understand all the various initiatives in-flight.

We could provide very clear dashboards to our senior executives in order to be able to choose which projects we did and to check if they were on schedule.

What needs improvement?

Its greatest feature is also its limitation. Nothing is locked down or mandatory with no complicated permissions; so it's very easy to get it up and running quickly. They could have more controls around user types and as to what permissions they have.

I have used this solution for 18 months.

We did not encounter any stability/scalability/deployment issues; it's cloud-based.

It only went down a few times which is very inconvenient when you run your entire team on it. But I assume this is the same for any system whether cloud-based or self-hosted.

I would give the technical support a 6/10 rating. There weren't too many problems, so I didn't have to use them much.

However, if the issue was specific to your data, then they couldn't really help easily. They had to get permission to duplicate your database and then work on that, which in a large organization required quite a few approvals.

I have used JIRA in the past. This is not originally agile-based and requires more setting up to get it right for you.

The setup was simple as it only does agile.

We implemented this product in-house. The adoption wasn't the hard part. It was the overall agile transformation that required the effort which was a culture/process thing.

I am not certain but we couldn't work without it.

What other advice do I have?

You have to adopt agile and be true to it. This is an agile solution too. If you don't want to plan in sprint and build teams around the agile process, then it's probably not the tool for you.