Rally Software Review

What is most valuable?

I like it because I have several projects, and it keeps me on track for each one. So, I can track each iteration of each project, and see where I'm at and where other people are at, visually. I guess maybe the iteration planning and tracking status is the most valuable feature.

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped a great deal in the fact that we are able to take small chunks of data and get them actually moved forward end to end. Previously, we had to wait several months before something would actually be available for the end user. This has helped us to break that and to move forward quickly.

What needs improvement?

I think I'd like to be able to color-code the words more easily, not just the side. You can change the color on the side, but to actually change the font color would be useful.

Currently, I use an HTML color font to change the title of a user's story or something. If, instead of having to put in the HTML version of it, to make it change the color of the font, and I could easily change the color of the fonts, it would be a lot better.

I have been using the solution for two years.

I think occasionally it will slow down, particularly when we have a lot of users on the same project, especially around stand-up time or whatever, because we're spread out across the country, so we usually do it by phone. So when everybody is on the project at the exact same time, it will slow down a little bit.

Also, if I make a change and somebody else makes a change, you can't retain both changes. It doesn't accept both. The first one who finishes, who hits Enter, Save, Done or whatever, will get the change.

Then, it will warn you. It will say, "Do you want to keep your changes or the other person's changes?" But you don't know what they are changing, and they don't know what you're changing!

It slows down a little bit if you have a lot of information in there. It seems to work really well, however.

I like the personalization of the home screen because I may not want to look at everything, i.e., the same things that other people want to look at. So it's nice to be able to personalize my home screen. I have a lot of stuff on my home screen, and it seems to be able to handle it just fine.

We have an administrator, and I've had to have people added back in because they don't go in there and use it, and get suspended. Then they ask, "How come my name's not in here?" So you have to respond: "Because you never use it."

I haven't really had any help from technical support.

We previously used a different solution. We switched to be able to move more quickly to a resolution. Because the industry changes quickly, we can't still be in development stages on a product that needs to be out in the consumer's hands today. That's why we moved on to something like this where we can actually get things out there quicker.

The setup is very straightforward.

I have no input as far as the cost is concerned. That goes further up the chain than me.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely say it's a very good solution to have for a company, yes.