Rally Software Review

Helps everything flow through the SDLC, breaks large projects into workable tasks

What is our primary use case?

We use it move projects through the software development lifecycle.

It performs pretty well. It's nice that everybody throughout the whole process has access and is shown the relevant information to their part of the job, their part of the SDLC.

How has it helped my organization?

It really does help everything just flow through the cycle better; everybody just worrying about their small piece of the pie. And then the project managers can have a bigger overview of it. I like how it moves things. It moves development through the whole lifecycle.

What is most valuable?

The most useful part is how it breaks down tasks into parents and children, manageable tasks. It has a whole project as an initiative, and then it breaks it down further and further. And then you get to actual user stories and tasks that you can sit and develop. You don't have to worry about the whole big picture. It's nice how it breaks everything down into chunks.

What needs improvement?

I think the interface could be a little bit more visual and less wordy. Right now, it seems like it's just a lot of text on the page. In other ticketing systems where it's more visual, you can see more of a flow. But in this one it's more just a list of tasks. I would like to see that a little bit better, especially considering it has so many great organizational features, like child tasks, different artifacts. It would be great to see it presented more appropriately.

Very stable. I can't think of any down time we've ever had with it, to be honest.

I don't think we've had to worry about scalability too much yet. We just use it for one piece of software still, right now. So it's still very small, we're almost kind of piloting it right now.

I don't think we've needed to use tech support. Honestly, if we did, it wouldn't have been my job in our company. We have a relationship manager that I'm sure would take care of that.

We were using Waterfall, which worked for decades, but it's definitely showing its age. I think they just wanted to switch to the Agile methodology and Rally was probably the best software to do that with.

It just came to us and all of a sudden, management said, "Hey we're going to use Agile and Rally, and good luck." So we've been trying to learn it for the last year.

I wasn't involved in the initial setup. but they put it out pretty fast, and I have seen changes in it being made fairly quickly. So I would say it's pretty straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

The most important criterion when selecting a vendor is support. I know as a team lead for a developer team, I've personally worked with other third-party softwares that we integrate with. They've assigned people specifically to our account, which I'm sure happens at a lot of Fortune 200 companies working very big accounts. So the personalization is nice. We can have a weekly meeting with the same person, the same point of contact. If anything goes down, if we need assistance with anything, that person is available. Don't take the people out of IT. We work with computers so much it's easy to get out of touch, so keeping a personal touch is probably the best thing.

I would rate it a "high eight" out of 10. It's a very capable software. Like I said, I just would like to see it presented a little bit more visually. It's definitely got some power but everything's got room for improvement.

Try to put yourself in the mind a developer and try and use it and see how you think it would flow. Really, it's a whole team collaboration. I'm not in the project support aspect, but I can empathize with them and think how they'd want to see things. Just try using it. See how you can move a project through it.